descripton not displayed for category forums

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
bobnws

descripton not displayed for category forums

Post by bobnws » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:24 pm

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.3
What is your board's URL? http://09nlpforums.tplace.us
How did you install your board? I installed my board myself
Is your board a fresh install or a conversion? Fresh Install
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Please describe your problem. I am not able to display category descriptions in the board index page. Several other post have asked about this "no display" problem but so far I have found no answers that work. The descriptions for category forums are in the database in the same column as regular forums, and the description display is fine for regular forums. I am hoping that it would not be too difficult to change or add a few lines in the display_forums() function or in a template file that will cause FORM_DESC to also be displayed for categories. Do you have any suggestions about how to do this. Thank you for your help
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? english
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 4
What is your level of experience? New User
Generated by SRT Generator ($Rev: 2853 $)
Last edited by bobnws on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Re: descripton not displayed for category forums

Post by ric323 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:02 pm

Where would you display the description? Categories just act as containers for forums.
What is your board's URL? http://09nlpforums
That is obviously not the complete address...
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

bobnws

Post by bobnws » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:29 am

Thanks for the fast reply. I fixed the URL in my post.

I would like the category description to appear just under top border that contains the category title, inside of the frame, but before the first forum within the category. What I am doing is using a work around that was suggested in a previous topic that deals with invisible category descriptions. A read only forum is used to display the description. The drawback for me is that it requires a redundant title in order to display the description, along with topic and post entries of 0 that are meaningless.

My board is only a draft. At this point the "about this site" is being used to create the category frame. The top forum title "An optional tool.." was meant to be the category title, and its description is the category description.

If it will be a lot of trouble to edit the theme to make the description appear before the first real forum, I will just use the work around.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:11 am

if using a prosilver based style:

Code: Select all

open:
viewforum_body.html
find:
<!-- NOTE: remove the style="display: none" when you want to have the forum description on the forum body -->
	<!-- IF FORUM_DESC --><span style="display: none">{FORUM_DESC}<br /></span><!-- ENDIF -->
follow those instructions, remove the style="display: none"
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

bobnws

Post by bobnws » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:54 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:if using a prosilver based style:

Code: Select all

open:
viewforum_body.html
find:
<!-- NOTE: remove the style="display: none" when you want to have the forum description on the forum body -->
	<!-- IF FORUM_DESC --><span style="display: none">{FORUM_DESC}<br /></span><!-- ENDIF -->
follow those instructions, remove the style="display: none"
robert
The above works for specific forum pages but not for the board index page. Here is the corresponding section from my viewforum_body template:
<p>from viewforum-body</p>
<!-- IF FORUM_DESC --><span >{FORUM_DESC}<br /></span><!-- ENDIF -->

The added line 'from viewforum-body' appears above the description in a specific forum page but it does not appear at all in the Board index page, but the regular forum descriptions do appear perfectly. This suggests that the viewforum-body template is not used for the Board index page.

The Board index page is created by index.php. The display_forums() function in the includes/functions_display.php file is one of the functions called by index.php Display_forums() is a big chunk of code. I am a newbie both to PHP and to phpBB. After looking at this function I guessed it would take me at least a full day to figure out how the description column is read from the database into a variable, and how the variable is read into the Board index page for regular forums. If someone could explain how this happens for regular forums it should be possible to do a little cut and paste and a tweak or two to make it work for category forums as well.

If someone is good at PHP code it might be worth checking the because there were several other support topics on invisible category descriptions and so far no satisfactory solution. I don't have a whole day to put into it at this point, but I'm OK with the read only forum work around if nobody comes up with a good clue.

Thanks again for the quick responses.

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:59 pm

The board index is comprised of the overall_header.html, index_body.html and overall_footer.html. :? Are you just trying to show the defined category description from in the ACP on the index page? If so I posted how to do this sometime earlier this year...will search for it.

bobnws

Post by bobnws » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:56 am

narqelion wrote:The board index is comprised of the overall_header.html, index_body.html and overall_footer.html. :? Are you just trying to show the defined category description from in the ACP on the index page? If so I posted how to do this sometime earlier this year...will search for it.
This support board is outstanding!

That was just the clue I needed. index_body.html includes forumlist_body.html. I pasted the following lines into forumlist_body:
<ul class="topiclist forums">
<!-- ENDIF -->

<!-- added lines to insert category description -->
<!-- IF forumrow.S_IS_CAT-->
{forumrow.FORUM_DESC}
<br/>
<br/>
<!-- ENDIF -->
<!--end added lines-->
This adds the description. All it needs now is a little CSS to make it look nice.

Thanks again for your excellent support.

Bob N

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:11 am

Excellent extrapolation. Very good work. ;)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”