Posting Error

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
bobGandalf

Posting Error

Post by bobGandalf »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? I Don't Know
What is your board's URL? GroupHelp.org
How did you install your board? Someone else installed my board for me
Is your board a fresh install or a conversion? Fresh Install
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Please describe your problem. The message below keeps showing when members try to post. The initial administrator is Taurus, [email protected]. He created the forum and I was the other admin. He has not been in communication with me for a month when he said he would look into the problem. Whatever caused the problem also changed my admin. password and might have done the same with him. We did have a big influx of spam right before the problem occurred. I would appreciate any assistance you could offer.
What styles do you currently have installed? see comments
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? I Don't Know
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
Generated by SRT Generator ($Rev: 2887 $)
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Posting Error

Post by stevemaury »

What message is that? What comments regarding styles used?

Do I correctly understand that you do not have ACP, FTP or database access? If so, it will be very difficult to help you. If you do have those, tell us which.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
bobGandalf

Post by bobGandalf »

Here is the message we get every time we try to post:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

MySQL server has gone away [2006]

SQL

SELECT topic_type, forum_id FROM phpbb_topics WHERE topic_id = 298

BACKTRACE

FILE: includes/db/mysqli.php
LINE: 143
CALL: dbal->sql_error()

FILE: posting.php
LINE: 871
CALL: dbal_mysqli->sql_query()
bobGandalf

Post by bobGandalf »

Regarding my knowledge about phpBB, I am a novice. I am trying to learn what all the acronyms stand for so I can answer your questions. At this point I am unable to gain access to my admin. account, but will continue trying. I understand this all seems moronic, and apologize for not being better prepared for such a situation.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

The error you are getting means that the phpBB software can not connect to the database. You need to contact your host to find out why.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
COD3M4ST3R-X

Post by COD3M4ST3R-X »

Also if this solves the issue
In your ACP -> General -> Server Configuration -> Security Settings, do you have "Check IP against DNS Blackhole List:" set this to No.
If this doesn,t solves it than its a host issue
“Need and struggle are what excite and inspire us.”
narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion »

bobGandalf wrote:I am trying to learn what all the acronyms stand for so I can answer your questions. At this point I am unable to gain access to my admin. account, but will continue trying.
By admin account do you mean your phpBB admin account to get into the Administration Control Panel? Also, are you hosted by Godaddy or on a Windows server by any chance?
bobGandalf

Post by bobGandalf »

narqelion, yes I do mean the Administration Control Panel. I can get into the Moderators Control panel, but it does not seem to give me access to any of the information you need... like ACP. At least I can't locate any of it.
narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion »

Do you have access to the server you are running on through a control panel on your webhost?

Did you ever have access to the ACP?
bobGandalf

Post by bobGandalf »

I assume I had access to the ACP. I just never bothered to check it out because Taurus ran all the tech stuff. That's why I'm not even sure about...
Do you have access to the server you are running on through a control panel on your webhost?

Like I said, I'm a novice regarding tech stuff. I guess you'd say I'm looking for someone to help a "blind" man.
If you din't want to, I understand completely.
monoxera

Post by monoxera »

WHAAAT? ^^

Your reply did nto answer the question at hand.

Do you have access to the DB/ftp?

Code: Select all

Dum dum dum
narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion »

bobGandalf wrote:I assume I had access to the ACP. I just never bothered to check it out because Taurus ran all the tech stuff. That's why I'm not even sure about...

Like I said, I'm a novice regarding tech stuff. I guess you'd say I'm looking for someone to help a "blind" man.
If you din't want to, I understand completely.
It's not a matter of not wanting to help you, it's not being able to help you because you don't have access to the things we could help you with. If the other person did not give you login and password information for the website there is not much you can do. Did you pay for this website and hosting plan?
bobGandalf

Post by bobGandalf »

Yes, we all chipped in money to pay for the website and hosting plan. I saw that the other administrator was on yesterday so I'm hopeful he is still working on the problem. I passed along this forum address to him.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”