[split from] "Log me on automatically each visit" not working

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
carpe

[split from] "Log me on automatically each visit" not working

Post by carpe » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:36 pm

Hi all,
We're having a similar issue but none of the fixes i've seen are working for us :oops:

myself and a couple others are running an established board for about 3 years now and while I'm personally no coder between the bunch of us we've been able to solve most problems that have poped up. However this latest one has us stumped!

Here's the problem:
Out of the blue, the site has stopped keeping members logged in even when checking the 'log me in automatically' box. so if you close your browser you get logged out instantly
we thought it is related to the cookie settings but we've checked and double checked all the settings in the acp

this problem popped out of nowhere with no changes being made on our side - We've had technical issue with our host in the past, so could this be on there end?
This seems likely to us, since we're got a sister forum ( which is completely independent - different database, domain, & file set ) where this issue has also popped up.

All urls now have extra info in there ( for ex : &sid=1df1558f39ca026630fa2e25632632f2 ), which we're assuming is phpbb's way of tracking users without cookies ?
Anyone experience anything like this?

I understand that more info may be needed to both understand, diagnosis and solve this issue so please don't hesitate to ask away and I'll provide whatever info needed.

Additional info:

Code: Select all

PHP Version 5.3.0RC1

System 	Linux tvunderground.org.ru 2.6.18-128.el5 #1 SMP Wed Jan 21 10:41:14 EST 2009 x86_64
Build Date 	Apr 5 2009 03:41:21
Configure Command 	'./configure' '--build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' '--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' '--target=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' '--program-prefix=' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr' '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include' '--libdir=/usr/lib64' '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec' '--localstatedir=/var' '--sharedstatedir=/usr/com' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--cache-file=../config.cache' '--with-libdir=lib64' '--with-config-file-path=/etc' '--with-config-file-scan-dir=/etc/php.d' '--disable-debug' '--with-pic' '--disable-rpath' '--without-pear' '--with-bz2' '--with-exec-dir=/usr/bin' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr' '--with-png-dir=/usr' '--with-xpm-dir=/usr' '--enable-gd-native-ttf' '--with-t1lib=/usr' '--without-gdbm' '--with-gettext' '--with-gmp' '--with-iconv' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr' '--with-openssl' '--with-zlib' '--with-layout=GNU' '--enable-exif' '--enable-ftp' '--enable-magic-quotes' '--enable-sockets' '--enable-sysvsem' '--enable-sysvshm' '--enable-sysvmsg' '--with-kerberos' '--enable-ucd-snmp-hack' '--enable-shmop' '--enable-calendar' '--with-libxml-dir=/usr' '--enable-xml' '--with-system-tzdata' '--with-mime-magic=/usr/share/file/magic' '--with-apxs2=/usr/sbin/apxs' '--without-mysql' '--without-gd' '--disable-dom' '--disable-dba' '--without-unixODBC' '--disable-pdo' '--disable-xmlreader' '--disable-xmlwriter' '--without-sqlite' '--without-sqlite3' '--disable-phar' '--disable-fileinfo' '--disable-json' '--without-pspell' '--disable-wddx' '--without-curl' '--disable-posix' '--disable-sysvmsg' '--disable-sysvshm' '--disable-sysvsem'
Server API 	Apache 2.0 Handler
Virtual Directory Support 	disabled
Configuration File (php.ini) Path 	/etc
Loaded Configuration File 	/etc/php.ini
Scan this dir for additional .ini files 	/etc/php.d
Additional .ini files parsed 	/etc/php.d/apc.ini, /etc/php.d/curl.ini, /etc/php.d/fileinfo.ini, /etc/php.d/gd.ini, /etc/php.d/geoip.ini, /etc/php.d/imap.ini, /etc/php.d/json.ini, /etc/php.d/mbstring.ini, /etc/php.d/mcrypt.ini, /etc/php.d/mysql.ini, /etc/php.d/mysqli.ini, /etc/php.d/odbc.ini, /etc/php.d/pdo.ini, /etc/php.d/pdo_mysql.ini, /etc/php.d/pdo_odbc.ini, /etc/php.d/pdo_pgsql.ini, /etc/php.d/pdo_sqlite.ini, /etc/php.d/pgsql.ini, /etc/php.d/phar.ini, /etc/php.d/snmp.ini, /etc/php.d/sqlite.ini, /etc/php.d/xmlrpc.ini, /etc/php.d/zip.ini
PHP API 	20041225
PHP Extension 	20090115
Zend Extension 	220090115
Zend Extension Build 	API220090115,NTS
PHP Extension Build 	API20090115,NTS
Debug Build 	no
Thread Safety 	disabled
Zend Memory Manager 	enabled
Zend Multibyte Support 	disabled
IPv6 Support 	enabled
Registered PHP Streams 	php, file, glob, data, http, ftp, compress.bzip2, compress.zlib, https, ftps, phar, zip
Registered Stream Socket Transports 	tcp, udp, unix, udg, ssl, sslv3, sslv2, tls
Registered Stream Filters 	string.rot13, string.toupper, string.tolower, string.strip_tags, convert.*, consumed, convert.iconv.*, bzip2.*, zlib.* 

board url : http://phantomp2p.com/phpBB3

Cookie settings: 
Cookie domain:phantomp2p.com
Cookie name:phantom_forum
Cookie path: /
Last edited by ric323 on Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic icon changed

COD3M4ST3R-X

Re: "Log me on automatically each visit" not working

Post by COD3M4ST3R-X » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:49 am

Carpe
Change your Cookie domain to .phantomp2p.com Clear your browser Cookie,s and restart Browser
Also Read this:
Fixing incorrect cookie settings :)
“Need and struggle are what excite and inspire us.”

carpe

Re: [split from] "Log me on automatically each visit" not workin

Post by carpe » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:57 pm

Thanks! We had the dot in there at one point lol. that doesn't seem to fix it. but we'll take a peek at the reading material and get back to you :-)

thanks again for the reply

*fingers crossed*

carpe

Post by carpe » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:21 pm

ok we tried all suggestions and unfortunately nothings changed. The board is still not keeping members logged in on either site ( note there are 2 separate sites with different domains,databases,host files ).

We've been trying various cookie settings for a couple weeks with no luck. Any more idea's ?

COD3M4ST3R-X

Post by COD3M4ST3R-X » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:00 am

carpe wrote:ok we tried all suggestions and unfortunately nothings changed. The board is still not keeping members logged in on either site ( note there are 2 separate sites with different domains,databases,host files ).

We've been trying various cookie settings for a couple weeks with no luck. Any more idea's ?
Whenever you make changes to your board,s cookie,s settings your user,s will have to clear their browser,s cookies in order the new cookie,s to function properly

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:24 am

carpe wrote:We've been trying various cookie settings for a couple weeks with no luck. Any more idea's ?
What settings are in effect right now?
As a guest, I can see that cookies are NOT working at http://phantomp2p.com/phpBB3/
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

carpe

Post by carpe » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:07 pm

Hi, currently these are the settings.

Cookie domain: .phantomp2p.com

Cookie name: phan_forum

Cookie path: /

Cookie secure: disabled
happy to provide more info or a 'member' account if you need it.

like i said we've tried every fix we can think of both from this board and google...driving us nuts and pissing off the members :(

aside from the settings in there anything that could cause the cookies to not function? is it possibly related to the host? ( it's the only recent change but this didn't start at exactly the same time as the host change )

COD3M4ST3R-X

Post by COD3M4ST3R-X » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:12 pm

ACP>>General>>Server Configuration>>Security Settings>>
Allow persistent logins:Is this set to yes?

carpe

Post by carpe » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:30 pm

yes it is.

-ToM-

Post by -ToM- » Fri May 15, 2009 6:11 pm

Anybody have any update on this? This is driving me crazy on my board..

carpe

Post by carpe » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:29 am

we still havent resolved it :-(

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:39 am

Change your cookie path to: /

Clear your browser's cookies and cache.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Post by Pit$Bull » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:46 am

Your cookie settings seem to be OK

Testing the URL: http://phantomp2p.com/phpBB3/
Analysis

phpBB Version
Board domain
    phantomp2p.com
Board path
    /phpBB3/
Board secure
    No
HTTPd Version
    Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS)
PHP Version
    5.3.0RC2
Discovered cookie names (weight)

phan_forum (3)

Cookie name
    phan_forum
Cookie domain
    .phantomp2p.com
Cookie path
    / 
Cookie secure
    No 
Which browser are you using?

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:56 am

There are a lot of HTML syntax errors on your page, maybe that is upsetting the cookie handling.

Paste your board's address onto this page to see the errors:
http://onlinewebcheck.com/check.php
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

carpe

Post by carpe » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:42 pm

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”