keep receiving PM alert email ... !!!!!!

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
phpaaa

keep receiving PM alert email ... !!!!!!

Post by phpaaa » Tue May 05, 2009 5:38 am

i'm the administartor of a bb3 forum. Yesterday I send out a PM (private message) to all members, then something strange happened. I received a PM alert email (to inform me there's a new PM) more than 30 times a day ... and i can't stop it. I'm afraid all my members would face the same situation ... actually some of the members i know tell me they keep receiving my forum's PM alert email ...

anyone can help me ?

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Re: keep receiving PM alert email ... !!!!!!

Post by ric323 » Tue May 05, 2009 7:00 am

Delete the queue.php file in your cache folder, and make sure the cache folder permissions are 777 (if you are on a Linux server), or that the IIS user has FULL permissions for the cache folder if you are on a Windows server.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

phpaaa

Post by phpaaa » Wed May 06, 2009 6:09 am

thank ... done what u said and hope it'll solve my problem.

But WHY would this happened ? isn't it i should not send PM to ALL members in future ?

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 » Wed May 06, 2009 6:14 am

It should not happen.
If it does, it indicates your web server is not set up correctly, which is why I have asked you to check the permission settings on your cache folder.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Wed May 06, 2009 6:16 am

phpaaa wrote:thank ... done what u said and hope it'll solve my problem.

But WHY would this happened ? isn't it i should not send PM to ALL members in future ?

When you send mass pm messages the board needs to send a lot of email notifications out, so to process this list of emails it stores the info relating to them in the queue.php file which it creates in the cache folder, once it has gone through and send all the E-mails it will delete the queue.php as it is no longer needed as the list contained in it will have been processed. However if the permissions on the cache folder are wrong and the queue.php can not be deleted the board will assume the list still needs processing and will do this over and over and over until the file is either manually removed or the permissions are corrected on the cache folder :)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”