3.0.4: Being Bombarded with Auto Registration Bots

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Seraphic

3.0.4: Being Bombarded with Auto Registration Bots

Post by Seraphic »

Been using phpbb since the version2 days, but I am now running a phpbb 3.0.4 forum with my website (which sadly, I haven't had a time to update in awhile). The other night a get a odd reply to the the phpbb auto welcome after joining e-mail that says something like: "I'm a bot. My solo purpose is to register on as many boards as possible".

I've always had Account activation: set to By User, along with Visual confirmation enabled. At this point I have what seems to be over 200 fake accounts. Last night I changed Account activation: set to By Admin and also enabled GD CAPTCHA foreground noise. This morning I had eight e-mails asking to to approve eight new accounts. And as I'm typing this, I just disabled user registration until I go through one by one and delete all the fake accounts. Sounds like fun.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Seraphic on Thu May 07, 2009 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: 3.0.4: Being Bombarded with Auto Registration Bots

Post by stevemaury »

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1437125

Why are you going to delete them one by one? Are they active accounts? Have they posted?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Seraphic

Re: 3.0.4: Being Bombarded with Auto Registration Bots

Post by Seraphic »

stevemaury wrote:http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1437125

Why are you going to delete them one by one? Are they active accounts? Have they posted?
No, they have not posted and don't seem to be active.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”