Problem with characters - all messed up!

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Linda Carter

Problem with characters - all messed up!

Post by Linda Carter » Sun May 10, 2009 4:54 am

Why this is happening with a single thread and not the entire forum?

Did you noticed only a few parts of the text with these kinds of characters:

Code: Select all

'ç~`
Are the ones being affected?

What seems to be the problem?????? :)

Additional info: This thread is large, at least more than 10K characters of size. But I haven't experienced the same problem posting those contents in another phpBB 3 board. I tried to access the affected thread using different browsers. Looks like the character set is messed with this one. How do I fix it? :(
"Whoever has not known himself has known nothing. But whoever has known himself has simultaneously achieved knowledge about the depth of all things."

D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Re: Problem with characters - all messed up!

Post by D¡cky » Sun May 10, 2009 5:30 am

Have you tried entering just a paragraph to eliminate the size factor?

Are there other posts on the board that have non-Latin characters and display properly?

It seems as though something is wrong with the language file character encoding or with the database connection collation or the database table collation. All should be set to utf8.
Have you hugged someone today?

Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter » Sun May 10, 2009 5:57 am

D¡cky wrote:Have you tried entering just a paragraph to eliminate the size factor?
Tried now, and worked. Not sure why a large thread is displaying those issues... :shock:
D¡cky wrote:Are there other posts on the board that have non-Latin characters and display properly?
All of them are normal. Just this one with 43.415 characters in a single post is displaying this issue.
D¡cky wrote:It seems as though something is wrong with the language file character encoding or with the database connection collation or the database table collation. All should be set to utf8.
Where can I find that option in the Admin CP?

Thanks! :)
"Whoever has not known himself has known nothing. But whoever has known himself has simultaneously achieved knowledge about the depth of all things."

D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky » Sun May 10, 2009 6:19 am

Linda Carter wrote:
D¡cky wrote:Have you tried entering just a paragraph to eliminate the size factor?
Tried now, and worked. Not sure why a large thread is displaying those issues... :shock:
I don't know why either. I am stumped. Maybe someone else will have an idea.
D¡cky wrote:It seems as though something is wrong with the language file character encoding or with the database connection collation or the database table collation. All should be set to utf8.
Where can I find that option in the Admin CP?

Thanks! :)[/quote]
There is no option in the ACP. When viewing the page, on your browser menu, click View > Character Encoding will tell you what the page encoding is. For the database collation, you need to use a tool like phpMyAdmin.
Have you hugged someone today?

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”