Clone a board

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
aix59

Clone a board

Post by aix59 »

I have a board setup with several mods that I want to clone.

When I say clone, I mean create another instance (a copy of the files and DB) that looks and functions exactly the same.

After cloning it, I plan on changing the board name, forums in the board, etc. Basically, the cloned copy will become a new board.

Besides dumping the DB and copying files, is there anything else I should (beyond making sure config.php points to the correct DB)?

Is this "safe" to do?
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Re: Clone a board

Post by Pit$Bull »

I don't see the logic here. Wouldn't it be easier to just install a new board.
aix59

Post by aix59 »

Pit$Bull wrote:I don't see the logic here. Wouldn't it be easier to just install a new board.
The reason I want to clone it is because I have about 10 mods on the board that I don't want to install again if I don't have to.

My plan was to create a customized version of phpBB (with the mods I installed) that I could copy and setup whenever I wanted to setup a new board.

The reason I posted is because I noticed a config entry in the database related to password salting. The salt looked randomly generated, and that got me thinking:
  1. Is it safe use the same salt on multiple boards (I was thinking about rainbow tables)?
  2. Are there other board unique attributes that shouldn't be copied?
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Post by Pit$Bull »

Are you intending to delete all posts, users, and forums before you start?
narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion »

So you basically want to create your own premod version of the board. It's perfectly "safe" ;)
aix59

Post by aix59 »

Pit$Bull wrote:Are you intending to delete all posts, users, and forums before you start?
I'm planning to have a board setup with an admin account and nothing else (basically, the same as what you would get if you ran the installer).
narqelion wrote:So you basically want to create your own premod version of the board. It's perfectly "safe" ;)
Exactly. Thanks.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”