Private messaging error text

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager
Name: Andreas Fischer

Re: Private messaging error text

Post by bantu »

Probably something went wrong when editing functions_privmsgs.php. Check the first line.
Powered by Coffee
asrock

Post by asrock »

Sorry about this, but kind of new still to phpBB. What first line and where? what should I be looking for? I removed the d from the code as mentioned on previous posts but still getting line of errors along top of screen and all the PM's have got large font. Anyone help me with this please ? ? ?
asrock

Post by asrock »

Okay seeing as Pit$bull locked my last post off (which wasn't a duplicate posting as it contained different error message !) :evil:

Can someone please, for the love of God, please tell me what the fix is for this problem, where do I get the fix code and where do I place it within includes/functions/privmsgs.php ? Please :( I wouldn't mind only people here tend to lock posts for help off before they read what they're locking! Bit keen with the mod functions I think. I've only been trying to get an answer for this error/bug for 3 days now. Anyone ? The error I'm getting is pasted below and it also makes everything including fonts get twice the size as normal forum font and image size:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions_privmsgs.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions_privmsgs.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions_privmsgs.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions_privmsgs.php:1)

Kind regards in advance!
asrock

Post by asrock »

Please, anyone able to help with this?
asrock

Post by asrock »

Again, can anyone help with this error / bug please ? :(
some blind fool

Post by some blind fool »

asrock wrote:[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions_privmsgs.php:1)
from what i know, this error generally occurs because there is something either at the very begining of the file, or the very end of the file, that you edited -- the one listed in the error message.
1> open that file and make sure that there are no blank lines or space before the opening php tag, and after the closing php tag.
2> you should be using an editor like notepad++, which will allow you to save the file as type "utf8 without BoM", as many programs that you can use to edit phpbb files will attach some kind of formatting marker to the beginning of the file, which you can't see when editing it.
please do not PM me to ask for help. thanks.
asrock

Post by asrock »

Can someone please help me with this? If I open functions_prvmsgs up using wordpad or expression web to view coding, what should I be looking for? Do you mean just gaps / lines with no code on them? if so then yes theres a few empty lines throughout the script. Please can someone help me with this and then its finally sorted. :(
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Post by Pit$Bull »

asrock wrote:Can someone please help me with this? If I open functions_prvmsgs up using wordpad or expression web to view coding, what should I be looking for? Do you mean just gaps / lines with no code on them? if so then yes theres a few empty lines throughout the script. Please can someone help me with this and then its finally sorted. :(
Never use wordpad or expression web for editing phpBB3 files. Use http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

Replace any files you have you have edited using wordpad or expression web with your backups or fresh files and reedit using Notepad++
asrock

Post by asrock »

Ok using note pad, again what should I be looking for to enable me to finally fix and close this error help request off!
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member

Post by Pit$Bull »

That is Notepad++ NOT Notepad
Pit$Bull wrote: Replace any files you have you have edited using wordpad or expression web with your backups or fresh files and reedit using Notepad++
Then refresh your template and clear your cache.
asrock

Post by asrock »

Ok, so I now have Notepad++ but now what? what files or lines need to be modified? still new to this so forgive me as I don't fully understand.
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member

Post by Pit$Bull »

Redo the edits until they work. I can't tell you what to edit you have so many MODs and changes I could spend days.
If you are going to add MODS then be sure each one works and causes no issues before starting another, that way you know where to re edit.
asrock

Post by asrock »

What edits Pit? I wasn't aware there was any, hence this problem. I don't have any MODS installed. The only thing I've added was the Avalon style pack. :?
This PM error bug is really starting to get me down! Really just want to get this sorted else I feel I might just delete phpBB and everything on my forum :lol:
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member

Post by Pit$Bull »

I'm sorry :oops:, That what happens when a topic is 'hijacked' (you posted in another persons topic)
Try replacing the functions_privmsgs.php file and see if that clears the error
Be sure to clear the cache after replaced.
asrock

Post by asrock »

Ok, just had a thought :idea: :lol:
If I was to simply download a fresh copy of phpBB 3.0.5 and extract the functions_prvmsgs.php from the download and then upload it to my server to replace my current online one, would this work?
If so would it mess with anything else i.e users PM or Forum permissions?

Reply to above Pit:
I posted in this topic because I thought thats what you done on a support Forum ? ? ? I mean had I started a new topic for the same thing, would'nt you have locked it? sorry but just thought the main purpose of a support Forum was to post in the correct section & topics with a problem then maybe, just maybe get a helpful reply. Sorry if I was wrong about that. Anyways Pit wasn't it me who originally started the other topic :lol:
regardless, who cares? lol I just want to get this error fixed ;)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”