Eerie post - posted as Admin

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Push Latency

Eerie post - posted as Admin

Post by Push Latency »

Current board version: phpbb 3.0.4

I had a post on my board a few days ago which rather startled me, and I'm wondering if I have anything to worry about, or if there is anything I can do to avoid this in the future.

The post was clearly spam, a block of text consisting of web addresses, etc.

The post was made by a user in the Administrator user group, that no longer exists, i.e. they must have deleted the account after making the post.

I have my board set to force Administrator approval of all new registrations. I did not receive notice of a new user, and as such, never approved them.

It seems that no major damage was done; I am still able to authenticate as Admin, access the ACP, and it doesn't look like anything was changed.

First, is this normal? Part of the security issue that 3.0.5 patches? Dangerous?
Second, is there anything I should be sure to check-on, that the user may have changed?
Third, is there a way to avoid this in the future, other than applying the 3.0.5 patch, etc?

Thank you, in advance.

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Re: Eerie post - posted as Admin

Post by narqelion »

Did you lookup the IP the post was made with? Did you look in the logs for any suspicious activity to any indication that an account was deleted?
Push Latency wrote:The post was made by a user in the Administrator user group, that no longer exists, i.e. they must have deleted the account after making the post.
What data are you basing that on?

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”