Memory Usage Debugging

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
sandpiper_flyer

Memory Usage Debugging

Post by sandpiper_flyer »

Can someone point me in the direction of how to debug memory usage please.

I have debugging turned on to show how much a page request has taken, and the explain link does a fine job in listing all the SQL queries but doesn't say how much memory was used per query.

As a forum grows, what is typical to expect in memory use?
Does more memory use come from increasing post count or increasing forum count?

Sorry with all the questions, I'm just trying to get a clear picture about this so I can do something about it and account for resource allocation in the future.

Thanks
narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Re: Memory Usage Debugging

Post by narqelion »

If you are not getting memory allocation errors I would not worry about it. The debug is geared more towards finding db issues. Why do you ask about memory usage, are you getting memory errors? :)
sandpiper_flyer

Re: Memory Usage Debugging

Post by sandpiper_flyer »

narqelion wrote:If you are not getting memory allocation errors I would not worry about it.
That's how it started though... I first discovered there was a problem when PHP complained it was running out of memory so I assigned another chunk from 32Mb upto 64Mb. So that's fixed the symptoms of the problem, but in the long term what will happen if I leave it? 8sec and 64Mb to process a page - clearly something needs to be done now to address the issue.

I just want to get a clear picture of the situation, from an administrators point of view. What do I have to do to get the page processing time of 4 sec back down to below 1 sec? Do I throw more money at hosting, or is there something going on in the software SQL side of things that I don't know about?

Could it be any of the following
Fulltext native search backend
1,000 forums
35,000 posts
10,000 topics

The Apache status isn't showing any spikes in processor use relating to getting the page together, I'm not sure how to monitor the SQL side of things.

So in summary it's finding out why some pages take 4sec 30Mb to process, and that figure is increasing all the time. In a matter of months it'll be 6sec 40Mb etc... the forum is already sluggish so something needs doing now.

Thanks for any pointers you can offer.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”