URL Address

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
QUIV3R

URL Address

Post by QUIV3R »

How do I change my URL address from www.sub-merge.org.nz/sublife to www.sub-merge.org.nz??

I just want to take '/sublife' away from URL address...

Also, how do I delete 3000 odd bots from my forum or is that something I do manually?
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Re: URL Address

Post by JimA »

First, go to your ACP, edit the Server and Cookie settings to the new URL. Then, simply move up the files out of the sublife folder, one directory higher. :)

About the bots problem, you mean spambots? Read the sticky on top of this forum to prevent them and then you can delete the accounts using the Prune Users functionality if they're already active, and the Inactive users page to delete the spambot accounts that aren't active yet.
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
QUIV3R

Post by QUIV3R »

JimA wrote:First, go to your ACP, edit the Server and Cookie settings to the new URL. Then, simply move up the files out of the sublife folder, one directory higher. :)
I did what you said but it didn't work can you please explain it again in case I may have misinterpreted an instruction?
QUIV3R

Post by QUIV3R »

I've lost my website completely now Arrrgghhh!
NathanFtw

Post by NathanFtw »

You'll need to move the FTP files in /sublife to your root directory (usually public_html), change the cookie settings as mentioned above and purge your cache and it should work.

Make sure you get a backup of all your forum files in /sublife just incase,

Goodluck.
QUIV3R

Post by QUIV3R »

So in other words one by one move ALL the files in /sublife to the public_html directory

edit cookies.. what do I write??

And purge cache... what does that mean?
NathanFtw

Post by NathanFtw »

No not one by one, you can use the <shift> key or <crt> key, shift will copy from one click to another (while holded down) and control will only select the ones you click on, then just move it to the ".." folder (which is the folder above, seeing as your navigating from /sublife it the ".." should be your root) then the files will move themselves. Just sit back and relax.
QUIV3R

Post by QUIV3R »

NathanFtw wrote:No not one by one, you can use the <shift> key or <crt> key, shift will copy from one click to another (while holded down) and control will only select the ones you click on, then just move it to the ".." folder (which is the folder above, seeing as your navigating from /sublife it the ".." should be your root) then the files will move themselves. Just sit back and relax.
Okay I'm doing it all wrong coz I moved the files via filezilla and it still does not work what a pain just to change the URL address
NathanFtw

Post by NathanFtw »

Nope filezilla should be fine and should work in what i stated above. Yes it is a pain to change the url :lol:.
QUIV3R

Post by QUIV3R »

This has really upset me now I've lost everything..

I've changed files to and fro from one directory to the other... I'm a chef not a forum expert by any means so NEVER ASSUME I know what ya talking about bcoz I don't.
I've sat here for the past 4hrs just trying to change my URL address honestly... this is pissing me off something cronic!

You need to talk to me in laymen terms coz I havn't a clue what ya on about!
QUIV3R

Post by QUIV3R »

I think the editing of server and cookies is my down fall what am 'I editing LOL

And purge cache does that mean update or something?
NathanFtw

Post by NathanFtw »

Well im sorry but i cannot explain the FTP bit anymore as it is explained enough even for a beginner to understand, just read it again.

Cookie settings:

ACP -> Server configuration (see left nav menu) -> Cookie Settings.

Change the "cookie domain" to your domain
Leave cookie name as is
Change cookie path to /
Cookie secure to disabled (should be already).

Purging the cache:

On the index of the ACP you'll see an option called "Purge the cache" click run now, you'll be redirected to a confirm screen which will require you to input yes or no click yes. Purge the cache mainly refreshes your board so any changes made to FTP will show.

That's pretty much it once again, goodluck.
QUIV3R

Post by QUIV3R »

yea tried my best and no joy unfortunately.. got the site back but, I can't even log into it now!
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

Okay, let's calm down a bit. It really isn't that hard, I'm just going to help you.
What all have you done already?
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
QUIV3R

Post by QUIV3R »

Okay so firstly I copied via cpanel files from within /sublife folder to publc_html folder but then I thought I'd transfer files using filezilla so I did that into public_html folder

Then I went to server settings in ACP and took the /sublife part out lol

Then I went to cookie settings and deleted the second line coz that didnt look familiar and deleted the '/' bit

Then after your reply I went to purge cache which worked but, it didnt work bcoz I lost my gif banner and also I now can't login to my forum lol.

If you need to check what damage I've done I can pm you access details.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”