Repeating Emails sent ....

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
steve841

Repeating Emails sent ....

Post by steve841 »

Whether PM's or topic notices .... all users are getting emails sent about every 30 mins for the same PM or topic.

PHPBB 3.0.5 / Running IIS6 on Win2k3

Have been using my own SMTP server ... tried switching to built in to see what happens...

Suggestions?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Repeating Emails sent ....

Post by stevemaury »

Delete the file cache/queue.php
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
gsmaclean

Post by gsmaclean »

I'm having the same exact problem, and it is driving my users crazy.

Deleting the cache/queue.php file works until the next time it happens...usually within a day or so. No idea what is triggering it to start happening, and manually deleting a file when it decides to start spewing duplicate emails out is not an acceptable solution.

I've read about this problem in quite a few places, but have yet to see a solution.
steve841

Post by steve841 »

Yep. I tested and the problem continues. Using both an SMTP and the built in mail service ...

Deleting the queue.php file stops it until another email request is placed into the file.

So, I'd say there's a bug somewhere ....
gsmaclean

Post by gsmaclean »

It's been a known bug for quite some time:

http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/ticket ... t_id=38985

However they couldn't reproduce it, so they said "hopefully it will be fixed in 3.05." It is not. Here's text from that ticket:

At the moment there is no real solution because we are not able to reproduce them. :) But i hope the latest changes to the creation of cache files will also solve those (the changes will appear in 3.0.5).
steve841

Post by steve841 »

Thanks for the link...

I can confirm it still exists on 3.0.5

HOWEVER ... the suggestion "One way you can make sure this does not happen again is setting the message queue size to 0. This will result in immediate notifications." seems to be a workaround for now.
gsmaclean

Post by gsmaclean »

I think I might have a clue as to what is triggering this, at least on my system.

I notice that the repeated email notifications are ONLY sent for PM notifications - not regular thread notifications. Also, the email notifications are always sent to the same people - for instance, when I get a PM as board admin, the email notification for this PM is sent repeatedly to me, and four other board members (that I know of). Yes, that's right, email notifications for a PM that is sent to ME, is sent to other board members. This happens rather consistently. WHEN this happens, it appears to go into a loop, sending this notification out over and over again.

A day or two later, it starts happening again, for the SAME PM.

I set my message queue size to zero, and it partially solved the problem. It doesn't go into a loop sending the notification out multiple times anymore. However, what it DOES do is still send out the notification every couple of days. As well, the PM in my "in" box, which I read and replied to several days ago, mysteriously gets marked as "unread" once more, and pops up as a "new" PM when I log onto my board.

The only way to stop this from happening is actually DELETING the old PM's from my IN box.

Obviously there is still a bug here somewhere.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”