Almost all my work is lost... Refresh/cache issue?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
cruxwireweb

Almost all my work is lost... Refresh/cache issue?

Post by cruxwireweb » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:21 pm

Hi-

I've been working on my BB for a couple days. I've never really understood the whole cache/refresh thing. Whenever I've refreshed, it takes my bb back to a point long ago. Somehow, I have been okay up until now. I've been editing via the ACP rather than in the code (I'd rather be in the code) and that seems to have eliminated the need for the refresh.

Well, today I found myself needing to use refresh. Since in the past refresh has erased changed I've made, I ftp downloaded my whole style folder to my desktop using Homesite for the ftp. I figured I was safe with a clean copy saved on my computer.

I made the change, clicked refresh, and yup, it took my work way back, although the latest change was applied. I think what is happening is that I'm losing my stylesheet changes, but my template ones are sticking. No, wait, the latest change was indeed a stylesheet one. So now my stylesheet has the most recent change, but not most of the changes before that.

So I have tried uploading my saved copy of my style and I just keep seeing an outdated version of the site. So I looked at the copy I saved to my hard drive, and it doesn't have my style sheet changes! For instance, my client wanted Times New Roman for the font, and I changed that everywhere, but now, on the downloaded copy of my style, it's all Arial. When I downloaded the style folder, in the browser all fonts were Times. So why isn't that the case with my downloaded stylesheets??

I'm afraid all my work is lost. If I don't have the correct version on my computer, I'm guessing it doesn't exist anywhere.

As part of my troubleshooting, I deleted the style completely from the server. Then I uploaded and installed it again.

ARGH! Please, does anyone know if I can find the good copy of my styles anywhere, and how to avoid these confusing, horrible refresh issues in the future?

Whimper,
Kim

URL for board: http://www.cruxwire.com/trickster_training/index.php

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Almost all my work is lost... Refresh/cache issue?

Post by stevemaury » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:28 pm

You have now discovered the disadvantage of editing style files in the ACP. That feature was designed for people who had no access to the phpbb files. Therefore, those edits are not written to the files and are lost when the cache is purged.

The right way to do this is to download the files, edit them and upload them. If you do not wish to have to keep refreshing the template, etc. in the ACP, go to Load settings and temporarily set Recompile stale style component to Yes. Then F5 will show your work.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

cruxwireweb

Post by cruxwireweb » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:34 pm

Steve-

I would really prefer to do it the way you said, but when I tried that way at first, I found that the changes weren't being displayed in the browser.

So, is this the correct process:

1) Change the Load settings as you specified below
2) Download the file, make the changes, upload the file

I feel like I need to put a step in there to refresh the files in the ACP, since in the past changes I made in the manner above didn't show in the browser. But I think you are saying step 1 will take care of that?

And finally, my most important question: Did I really lose all my work??????

Thanks,
Kim

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:55 pm

The reason your changes did not show is that you did not refresh in the ACP. If you change the load settings as I said, there will be no need to refresh in the ACP.

Unless you saved your changes locally, I know of no way to recover them.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:57 pm

Did you download the template cache when you backed everything up? It may be possible to extract the work from there, but it might be more work than simply recreating it.
Roberdin

cruxwireweb

Post by cruxwireweb » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:08 pm

I downloaded the whole style folder before I started work this morning, but oddly, the styles in the stylesheet were not all updated. So my local copy is wrong.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:10 pm

Any code work you do in the ACP does not get reflected back into the Styles/ folder. I think that should be clearly spelt out, but meh.
Roberdin

cruxwireweb

Post by cruxwireweb » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:21 pm

Well, damn. Thanks everyone for the help.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”