Can I get some Help! Account activation emails not sent

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Andreus

Re: Can I get some Help! Account activation emails not sent

Post by Andreus »

Paul wrote:You need to enable under admin -> email settings the email function to be able to use the other options.
thanksssssssssssssssssssss
:D :D
RobinTWD

Post by RobinTWD »

I was having the same problem, but when I check my error log this is what I get.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions_messenger.php on line 446: mail(): Bad parameters to mail() function, mail not sent.

So, I changed some of my email settings as indicated in a previous post and now I have a different problem.

Instead of receiving an email with username and password first, and then a second email indicating their account has been activated, my users are getting 2 activation notifications and NO email with username and password.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by RobinTWD on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion »

RobinTWD wrote:I am having the same problem, but when I check my error log this is what I get.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions_messenger.php on line 446: mail(): Bad parameters to mail() function, mail not sent.

No clue what I'm supposed to do though. any help is appreciated.
Actually your error message indicates you have a completely different problem, more specifically related to a bug in version 3.0.5. Is that the version you are running? Please post a link to your board. ;)
RobinTWD

Post by RobinTWD »

Thanks for your reply, yes, I'm using 3.05 and my board is at http://www.tayloredtraining.ca/forumbl/

As indicated above, in my edit, I got the emails semi working, but still need help getting the glitch worked out.

any ideas?
narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion »

RobinTWD wrote:So, I changed some of my email settings as indicated in a previous post and now I have a different problem.
1. What did you change? Please post your ACP -> E-mail settings page

2. What version are you running?
RobinTWD

Post by RobinTWD »

I had "Users send emails via board" set ti disabled. I enabled it.

I'm using version 3.05

attached is a screenshot as requested...
email_settings.jpg
email_settings.jpg (26.25 KiB) Viewed 867 times
narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion »

I see the email address you are using for the board is a different domain than the website, thoroughwebdesign.com v. tayloredtraining.ca, do you have a tayloredtraining.ca email address provided by your host that you can try using?
RobinTWD

Post by RobinTWD »

Edit!

I created a test account on tayloredtraining.ca and changed the email settings to use that address.

It took a while but I just received 2 account activation notices again. Still no account creation notice.
narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion »

So emails are working and no more email errors in the Maintenance log? Can you please tell us what method of account activation you have set and also change your E-mail package size from 50 to 0 (zero) and let me know when you have done that. :)
RobinTWD

Post by RobinTWD »

Hi again,

I changed the packet size from 50 to 0.

Created a new account and the activation notification was sent to the board administrator, but no email was sent at all to the new user, not a new account email, nor a notice that the account was activated.

Account activation is set to "By Admin" and as indicated, the admin received notification of the new account.

Error Log shows:

E-mail error
» EMAIL/PHP/mail()
/forumbl/ucp.php

Thanks
andrewb12

Post by andrewb12 »

Paul wrote:You need to enable under admin -> email settings the email function to be able to use the other options.
Paul, I had PMed you. I need some help.
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

andrewb12 wrote:
Paul, I had PMed you. I need some help.
Do not PM team members for support. Ask in the forums.
RobinTWD

Post by RobinTWD »

Any update on my problem please?
narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion »

RobinTWD wrote:Any update on my problem please?
Sorry, I stopped replying because this topic has been hijacked twice now so I reported your initial post in order for it to be split off into it's own topic as your problem is not related to that of the OP. After several days the report was closed (foolishly) without your post (and my subsequent replies) being split off so I am afraid unless you start your own new topic (you can just copy your original post and replies into it if you want) I will be unable to assist you further. Nothing personal, I just prefer not to contribute to the hijacking of topics because what many people do not realize is that in addition to creating much confusion when multiple people are posting about different problems in the same topic, the original poster is often getting email notifications of replies to their topic, which have nothing to do with their problem. :)
RobinTWD

Post by RobinTWD »

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the post.

I deleted the installation (the original install was 3.01 and then I updated it to 3.05) and am currently doing a clean install. If I still have the same issues, I'll create a new post.

Thanks for you patience.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”