Is it possible to change the position of "Topics" ?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
farmboy20

Is it possible to change the position of "Topics" ?

Post by farmboy20 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:11 am

Phpbb has a very good feature allows changing position of "forums" but does it allow to change the position (up or down) of "Topics" also ?

Thanks

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Is it possible to change the position of "Topics" ?

Post by Brf » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:19 am

Sorting Topics or Posts is a user setting. You set it in your
User Control Panel / Board prefs / Edit Display Options.
Otherwise there is also a selector at the bottom of the viewforum page.

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:21 am

farmboy20 wrote:Phpbb has a very good feature allows changing position of "forums" but does it allow to change the position (up or down) of "Topics" also ?
Forums are created by the admin and he should be able to control their order. Topics (generally) may be created by anybody, and I wouldn't want the admin picking and choosing how they're ordered. Sorting by post time makes perfect sense to me, but regardless of how they're sorted, it should be a user's choice (and, as Brf pointed out, it is).

That said, an admin does have some limited discretion on controlling topic order. He can make certain topics Announcements or Sticky, which will cause them to be displayed toward the top of the forum.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

farmboy20

Post by farmboy20 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:24 pm

Pony99CA wrote:
farmboy20 wrote:Phpbb has a very good feature allows changing position of "forums" but does it allow to change the position (up or down) of "Topics" also ?
Forums are created by the admin and he should be able to control their order. Topics (generally) may be created by anybody, and I wouldn't want the admin picking and choosing how they're ordered. Sorting by post time makes perfect sense to me, but regardless of how they're sorted, it should be a user's choice (and, as Brf pointed out, it is).

That said, an admin does have some limited discretion on controlling topic order. He can make certain topics Announcements or Sticky, which will cause them to be displayed toward the top of the forum.

Steve
Thanks for taking up "sticky","announcement","normal" etc .Im still not sure what each exactly does.

I did use one of these(Im not sure which one) but posts started showing up in all forums !

With another some posts became seperated from others and were shown seperately.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:59 pm

Sticky posts are show at the beginning of their forum's topics list.
Announcements are show at the beginning of each page of their forum's topics list.
Global Announcements are shown at the top of each and every viewforum page.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:13 pm

farmboy20 wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:

Thanks for taking up "sticky","announcement","normal" etc .Im still not sure what each exactly does.
Brf explained that, so I won't reiterate it.
farmboy20 wrote:I did use one of these(Im not sure which one) but posts started showing up in all forums !
That was a Global Announcement. Only use those if you want the post showing up in every forum.
farmboy20 wrote:With another some posts became seperated from others and were shown seperately.
Both Announcements and Global Announcements do that. (I had originally assumed Global Announcements would be separated from Announcements, but that's not the case.)

Try using Sticky to get keep them in the main topic list but floated to the top.

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

skmoney

Post by skmoney » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:49 am

but is it possible to sort the order of announcements???

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:43 pm

Yes, in the User control panel. Announcements will remain at the top but will be ordered among themselves as the user chooses. There is very little point in attempting to create an arrangement which is ultimately controlled by the user.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:50 pm

stevemaury wrote:Yes, in the User control panel. Announcements will remain at the top but will be ordered among themselves as the user chooses. There is very little point in attempting to create an arrangement which is ultimately controlled by the user.
True, but I bet 95% of users never change the post ordering. I know that I haven't.

Given that, it seems each class of posts (regular, sticky and announcements) are sorted by posting order. If I recall correctly, editing a post won't change the post order, so if you want to arrange them differently, you can do one of two things:
  1. Update the post date in the database to force a new order
  2. Edit the items you want to reorder, copy the subject and body text, delete them, and repost them in the order you want (last in, first out).
Those are more work than I'd want to do, though.

Steve

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”