restore done, now black lines?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
mrsjprice

restore done, now black lines?

Post by mrsjprice »

I have a active forum with lots of posts etc. I am currently trying to move hosts so I need to transfer the data from the phpbb board.

I did a full back up of my site via the ACP panel, selecting all the tables and saving it as a text file to my desktop.

I installed a fresh version of phpbb on my new hosting and uploaded the text backup to the store folder via ftp.

I went to the acp on the new site and selcted the file to restore. It restored, I went to look at the forum on the new site, and nothing has changed it's exactly the same as what it looks like when you do a fresh isntall.

Um am I missing something? Or doing something wrong here? Im not great with all this techie stuff ;)

What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.5
What is your board's URL? http://209.62.119.60/phpBB/index.php
Who do you host your board with? http://www.jaguarpc.com/
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
Is your board a fresh install or a conversion? copied phpbb files from other hosting (im in the process of moving hosts)
Do you have any MODs installed? Yes
What MODs do you have installed? Code edits/additional pages
When did your problem begin? Restored forum with database from my other site
Please describe your problem. When I go to my index page of my forum, theres a few blank lines, my logo is missing and there seems to be something wrong with the images.
What styles do you currently have installed? avalon cyan
What language(s) is your board currently using? english
Which database type/version are you using? mysql
What is your level of experience: ok with php, used phpbb for ages
Last edited by mrsjprice on Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Re: Back up & restore

Post by ChriZathens »

What is the size of your backup file? (Not zipped)
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
If you need support click on the support tab there and post your question.
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...
mrsjprice

Post by mrsjprice »

10.7 mb
colinb

Post by colinb »

I recently done the same thing (moving hosts) and have had similar problems, altough I didn't opt to use the Backup in ACP (it's never worked 100% for me) but chose instead to do it within phpMyadmin. My database file was almost 120MB so I had to choose some other means.

I'd recommend using bigdump.php (google on "bigdump" and you'll find it). It's a free utility which gets around the timeout/filesize problems associated with importing into database servers and it's very good.

You must pay attention to the issue of transferring using "ASCII" or "Binary" mode, however. It can get really confusing for newbies like you and me - I screwed up my migration (all the user posts have disappeared into the ether) and I'm considering giving up on it altogether.

So..... read the instructions carefully. Bigdump is the best app I've seen to undertake your task.

Colin
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Post by Pit$Bull »

ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Post by ChriZathens »

It should have worked in the first place - the size is not big. Oh well... alternative way:
I assume that you have a clean installation (and db) and you want to restore you old one over it...
If that's the case, then:
  1. Save a copy of the sql file
  2. Open it with notepad+, search and delete the entries for the following tables:
    a.phpbb_search_results
    b.phpbb_search_wordlist
    b.phpbb_search_wordmatch
    The reason for this is that those tables can frequently cause problems while restoring and you don't actually need them. You only need their structure, not their data.You can always rebuild your index and they will be created again.
  3. Now that you removed the entries for those tables, check again the size of your backup file. It should be significantly smaller now..
  4. You can now use this file in phpmyadmin. In case it is bigger than the allowed size you can always partially import it (select 20% of it paste it an a sql window and hit go)
  5. An alternate way is to use big dump
EDIT: Two people beat me to it... lol... use Pit$bull's link...
Last edited by ChriZathens on Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
If you need support click on the support tab there and post your question.
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...
mrsjprice

Post by mrsjprice »

Thank you il check it out now.
mrsjprice

Post by mrsjprice »

Ok I have moved the database, but hteres a few black lines going across my forum, my logo isnt showing up and instead of the view last post image it is saying the text. none of the smilies show either. All the images seems a bit messed up

I ended up using bigdump in the end.

My site address - http://209.62.119.60/phpBB/
mrsjprice

Re: restore done, now black lines?

Post by mrsjprice »

oh I also refreshed, the templates and images in ACP for my style. and it made no difference. :(
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Have you tried using one of the standard styles such as prosilver just to see if that is OK or not? It seems your database is OK as you have your users and posts etc. so I assume there is something else wrong.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

What is with that graphic in the header containing what appears to be arabic writing?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
mrsjprice

Post by mrsjprice »

ok switched it to the default style with phpbb, the index looks fine but if you veiw a forum the images are all distorted - see http://209.62.119.60/phpBB/viewforum.ph ... d68cfadc78
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Most of the prosilver is OK but the site logo is chopped off and the rounded corners are missing (.gif files) can you upload a vanilla copy of prosilver and see what happens then?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
mrsjprice

Post by mrsjprice »

stevemaury wrote:What is with that graphic in the header containing what appears to be arabic writing?
I don't have a clue what your on about lol.

Oh im uploading a fresh copy of prosilver now, to see if that makes a difference
mrsjprice

Post by mrsjprice »

ok uploaded clean files of prosilver and refreshed everything. And nope no different. im really confused as to whats gone wrong..

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”