new posts icon stays active all the time

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Locked
mre03
Registered User
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:02 pm

new posts icon stays active all the time

Post by mre03 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:48 am

the main forum board index section will always have the active new posts icon showing next to its categories even though all threads have been read, im not sure what happened.

User avatar
COD3M4ST3R-X
Registered User
Posts: 2269
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:47 am
Location: Lahore,Pakistan

Re: new posts icon stays active all the time

Post by COD3M4ST3R-X » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:29 am

Try hitting the "Mark all Forums Read" link on the Index page and than see. :)
“Need and struggle are what excite and inspire us.”

mre03
Registered User
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:02 pm

Re: new posts icon stays active all the time

Post by mre03 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:59 am

hm nope, that didnt work, i mustve changed something when modifying the forum thus effecting something to do with that. Unfortunately its been a while and i hadnt really noticed it until now

*Ceres*
Registered User
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:47 pm

Re: new posts icon stays active all the time

Post by *Ceres* » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:25 pm

I have the same problem with a little difference. Sometimes it does work fine. Just sometimes. After clearing cookies especially, but cannot hold for more than one session. It drives me nuts!

Obviously cookies based tracking has tons of bugs. I'm just surprised nobody found any solution yet.

Please, team members! At least let us know you've heard us! :(

mre03
Registered User
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:02 pm

Re: new posts icon stays active all the time

Post by mre03 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:53 am

do you notice it specifically the same way how i do it?

User avatar
Lumpy Burgertushie
Registered User
Posts: 66912
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 3:11 am
Contact:

Re: new posts icon stays active all the time

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:29 pm

*Ceres* wrote:I have the same problem with a little difference. Sometimes it does work fine. Just sometimes. After clearing cookies especially, but cannot hold for more than one session. It drives me nuts!

Obviously cookies based tracking has tons of bugs. I'm just surprised nobody found any solution yet.

Please, team members! At least let us know you've heard us! :(
don't you think that if this was really a problem with how phpbb works there would be many many more people reporting it?

the only cookie type problems that come up here are almost always because of incorrect settings in the user's admin panel and/or browser.

I have rarely seen a cookie problem that could not be solved by correct cookie settings in the admin panel and/or browser.

also, consider this:

probably 99% of the internet is using cookie based tracking ( look in your cookies folder on your computer if you doubt this. ) so I doubt it is so bug ridden.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

*Ceres*
Registered User
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:47 pm

Re: new posts icon stays active all the time

Post by *Ceres* » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:40 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
*Ceres* wrote:I have the same problem with a little difference. Sometimes it does work fine. Just sometimes. After clearing cookies especially, but cannot hold for more than one session. It drives me nuts!

Obviously cookies based tracking has tons of bugs. I'm just surprised nobody found any solution yet.

Please, team members! At least let us know you've heard us! :(
don't you think that if this was really a problem with how phpbb works there would be many many more people reporting it?

the only cookie type problems that come up here are almost always because of incorrect settings in the user's admin panel and/or browser.

I have rarely seen a cookie problem that could not be solved by correct cookie settings in the admin panel and/or browser.

also, consider this:

probably 99% of the internet is using cookie based tracking ( look in your cookies folder on your computer if you doubt this. ) so I doubt it is so bug ridden.

luck,
robert
Hi, Robert!
Thanks for your reply.I appreciate it. I assume it's one of those rare cases...
I guess I sound like a complete newb, but true is I'm not so much. I'm just desperate. :roll:
I was tweaking cookies countless number of times and I'm pretty sure they're set correctly. As I mentioned here. In addition I am not the only one experiencing this. There are a couple of open bug tickets cookies related and one of them describes my problem with accuracy. But I cannot figure out what's its status for now. And of course I wasn't suggesting that cookies system is buggy in general. It even doesn't have to be phpbb specific problem. It can be server's glitch. Or maybe something else... I'm looking for a clue...

User avatar
Lumpy Burgertushie
Registered User
Posts: 66912
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 3:11 am
Contact:

Re: new posts icon stays active all the time

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:42 pm

are you still running it on localhost?

if so, then change your cookie domain to 127.0.0.1
note there is no leading dot.


set the cookie path to whatever it truly is

change the cookie name to something different ( add a number )

log out,

then go back and test


robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

*Ceres*
Registered User
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:47 pm

Re: new posts icon stays active all the time

Post by *Ceres* » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:41 pm

Same story. I tried this before, tried another time now. First session - everything marked correctly. Logged out, logged in, posted, read it - yet new message icon shows up.

User avatar
Lumpy Burgertushie
Registered User
Posts: 66912
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 3:11 am
Contact:

Re: new posts icon stays active all the time

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:21 am

*Ceres* wrote:Same story. I tried this before, tried another time now. First session - everything marked correctly. Logged out, logged in, posted, read it - yet new message icon shows up.
for one thing, you can not test this from the same account that you posted with.

post from a test account , then log out and back in under your admin acount ( or vice versa )

then see what it is doing.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

*Ceres*
Registered User
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:47 pm

Re: new posts icon stays active all the time

Post by *Ceres* » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:07 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:for one thing, you can not test this from the same account that you posted with.

post from a test account , then log out and back in under your admin acount ( or vice versa )

then see what it is doing.

robert
It doesn't really matter. It shouldn't fail neither for the same account the post made from nor any other.

User avatar
Lumpy Burgertushie
Registered User
Posts: 66912
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 3:11 am
Contact:

Re: new posts icon stays active all the time

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:06 am

we are just trying to eleminate possibilities one by one.

if you make a post then it will not be unread by you at any time.

so, you can't test any part of this from the same account that you are posting from.


robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

*Ceres*
Registered User
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:47 pm

Re: new posts icon stays active all the time

Post by *Ceres* » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:06 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:we are just trying to eleminate possibilities one by one.

if you make a post then it will not be unread by you at any time.

so, you can't test any part of this from the same account that you are posting from.


robert
Actually, it is unread sometimes for author's account. But after I open the topic the flag get cleared as It suppose to, yet forum's still wrong.
Anyway, I checked several accounts. They all show the same. Right topics' flags. wrong forums'...

Earlier I ran several tests including little tweaking of the code.

In functions.php find:

Code: Select all

		if (!isset($tracking_topics['tf'][$forum_id]))
		{
			// We do not need to mark read, this happened before. Therefore setting this to true
			$row = true;
		}
		else
Replace with:

Code: Select all

if (!isset($tracking_topics['tf'][$forum_id]))
After that forums' flags are cleared if just one topic inside is read. All the rest can stay untouched, but forum marked as read. Maybe it can help somehow...

Locked

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”