phpBB2 to 3 permissions not showing

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
webby1958

phpBB2 to 3 permissions not showing

Post by webby1958 »

Hello,

I just converted my phpBB 2 to the latest 3.05 version. Everything works great! I wanted to view the current permission for users and groups but according to the ACP none of the users/groups have permissions to even post. I thought this was strange since all of the users have been posting since I converted the forum. I then looked at my permissions and it is the same thing. According to the ACP i don't have permission to do anything and I'm the Administrator. Of course I do have the ability to do everything an Administrator should be able to do.
Is this normal behavior when one converts to the new version?
I'm afraid to touch anything for fear of losing all of the current permissions the users seem to enjoy despite what the ACP says.
Should I go ahead and remove all user groups brought over from the old version and create new ones?

Just thought it was weird and I'm afraid something else be be wrong or that down the road the whole forum may fail. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Webby

Nikkster

Re: phpBB2 to 3 permissions not showing

Post by Nikkster »

Hello,

Can't you just go to your administrator control panel and then to "Users and Groups" and then click on "Group Permissions", then click on the specific group you would like to edit. The administrator, global moderator & registered users group shouldn't be so hard.

Registered Users has: "Standard Functions" as default

Global Moderators: "All Functions" as default
Administrators: "All Functions" as default.

Best Regards,
Nikkster
For webhosting, I recommend http://www.ukhost4u.com/ or http://www.crewebs.com/

darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Darcie Griffin

Post by darcie »

I have approved the above post, but I'm going to clarify.

As you converted, the permission levels from phpBB2 were copied over to the new board. There was not the same permission roles in that version. My guess is you are seeing the permissions as "No role assigned..." This doesn't mean that no permissions are given, but only that a specific pre-defined role is not given. Checking the advanced permissions should show where users are granted yes/no for board and forum functions. You can change these to the predefined roles to better manage them if you like, or leave them as is if you are happy with the current levels.
phpBB on Facebook | Site Rules | Former Community Team leader

webby1958

Post by webby1958 »

Thank you for the help.
I think I figured out what happened. The Custom User Groups I created in the old version came over to the new version but had all permissions set to NO. It looks like the permission settings were applied at the user level not at the group level since I had custom groups previously? Does that make sense?

Also, If I look at a user in the Permissions tab and select Users Permissions, it shows that the user has all permissions set to NO. If I look at the user permissions from the Manage Users/Permissions area it displays the settings correctly. This is what makes me nervous. Shouldn't the Permissions Tab display the same permissions as the Manage User/Permissions area?

Just trying to better understand it so I don't mess up anything. Thanks for your help.

Weeby

darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Darcie Griffin

Post by darcie »

webby1958 wrote:I think I figured out what happened. The Custom User Groups I created in the old version came over to the new version but had all permissions set to NO. It looks like the permission settings were applied at the user level not at the group level since I had custom groups previously? Does that make sense?
Group permissions should carry over to the group and be granted to the user by their membership in the group. It may just be that you're not seeing it quite yet. Say you have a group that has access to Forum X. If you select the Permissions tab, Groups' forum permissions, the group, and then Forum X, you should see the granted permissions.
webby1958 wrote:Also, If I look at a user in the Permissions tab and select Users Permissions, it shows that the user has all permissions set to NO. If I look at the user permissions from the Manage Users/Permissions area it displays the settings correctly. This is what makes me nervous. Shouldn't the Permissions Tab display the same permissions as the Manage User/Permissions area?
The User Permissions you seem to be looking at on the Permissions tab are those that are set individually for the user. Unless necessary, I'd recommend just using group permissions and not touching these. The permissions you see from managing the user are the same as the Permission Masks- basically finding the end result of all the permissions the user has on a global level, or per forum if you select it. This doesn't offer you a chance to change them, but to view them. So, in effect, it is the same... just seen a different way. Make any more or less sense? ;)
phpBB on Facebook | Site Rules | Former Community Team leader

webby1958

Post by webby1958 »

YES! It's starting to make sense! Thank you so much for the help. I found the little Trace Setting icon and that has also helped me figure out where the settings are coming from. Whoever put that feature into place should be given a prize. It's awesome!

Webby

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”