Collation Problems

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Locked
Tommy Gun
Registered User
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:22 pm
Contact:

Collation Problems

Post by Tommy Gun » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:53 pm

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.5
What is your board's URL? www.aquariumfishforum.com
Who do you host your board with? Siteground
How did you install your board? Fantastico
Is your board a fresh install or a conversion? Fresh
Do you have any MODs installed? Yes
What MODs do you have installed? Many :D
When did your problem begin? After MySQL Upgrade
Please describe your problem. Having a problem with a few different modifications, all of which return a "Cannot modify Header information" debug message
What styles do you currently have installed? 3 variations of X-Static (all stock versions with my own graphics)
What language(s) is your board currently using? British English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL5
What is your level of experience? Moderate

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to read this and assist me. My forum at www.aquariumfishforum.com has been up and running for months with no problems. However, after a recent upgrade from MySQL4 to MySWL5 on my host server, I am having a problem that seem to stem from one mod or another, always resulting in a "cannot modify header information" debug message and some visual issues such as the forum displaying large fonts.

After a lot of investigating and reinstalling quite a few mods (all of which I have been updating when available), I believe the problem is being caused by the MySQL5 upgrade. More specifically, I have noticed some changes in the collation of many database entries. In fact, I have been able to fix almost all of my problems by changing the collation.

Before I get too far into these changes, I am wondering if I am doing the right thing by changing all of the collations to utf8_bin. All of the collations I have changed so far have been 'latin1_swedish_ci' for some reason. As explained above, I only use the British English language set on my site and I have been able to fix many problems by changing to utf8_bin. To be honest, I'm only using utf8_bin because the majority of my other database entries use this setting and since everything worked fine before... Unfortunately I didn't pay enough attention to collations before the upgrade so that is the reason I am not sure if I am doing the right thing or not.

Again, thanks for your time and help with fixing this highly annoying problem!

TG
Last edited by ameeck on Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic icon changed

User avatar
ameeck
Former Team Member
Posts: 6559
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:57 pm

Re: Collation Problems

Post by ameeck » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:31 am

Hi,

first of all, run this script, it is primarily meant for a different error, but it checks your database structure and updates the fields which are not defined properly.

MySQL updater script

We need the full error message of the Debug notices you see in the header.

Tommy Gun
Registered User
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Collation Problems

Post by Tommy Gun » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:29 pm

Thanks, the updater worked perfectly!

Locked

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”