ftp attack recovery

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
longwhitecloud

ftp attack recovery

Post by longwhitecloud »

say someone got in and just messed up everything (yes i got a good ftp password)

can you simply copy the phpbb directory to your windows computer as a full backup?

then just delete everything in your ftp folder and copy it back and it will all work?

there would be a problem with permissions when u copied it back (linux server)?

is there a way to do this.. i just want a complete backup of everything that i can restore in one click / copy and paste - from scratch - no dramas - also so i can get someone that is not too pc literate to do it.

thx
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: ftp attack recovery

Post by Brf »

I assume you are making the copy of your forum's folder structure before the hacker "messes things up"?

If so, Yes, you can simply copy it back and everything should work. You would lose any uploads that were made after the copy though -- avatars, attachments,and such.

Your forums, posts, users, etc. are in the SQL database, so if the hacker does not touch the database, then all of that should be OK.
longwhitecloud

Post by longwhitecloud »

ah cool thx

i may be being stupid here but doesn't phpbb work with unix style permissions on linux that it sets up when it is installed? so if i copy folder structure to windows desktop as backup using ftp - then ftp it all back to the pbpbb folder to restore - those permissions are gone and it will still work?
TrZ

Post by TrZ »

The permissions should still be present.
The only thing you may have to worry about is copying them back over using the ftp account and not the root ftp acct (as with vps and dedi. servers).
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Your FTP program might not retain the permissions, but it is a simple matter to change them back. Most of the folders should be 755 with files 644. The writeable and uploadable folders should be 777.
Reference this article: http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/phpbb3- ... rmissions/

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”