Avatars not showing up anymore after STK

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
sypher01

Avatars not showing up anymore after STK

Post by sypher01 »

After using the support kit to only clean the database from the mods (now im using original 3.0.5 files, before it was a heavily modded board) avatars dont show up anymore.

Only way i can make them show up is by changing the "character_encoding" in vfunctions.php inside includes.

All other tries have been to no avail.

The file gets correctly downloaded, same size as the original one (talking about the avatar image) but by diff they differ, tough i dont know in what they do.

http://www.thaitravel.it/forum/

any hints?
thanks in advance
Kellanved
Former Team Member

Re: Avatars not showing up anymore after STK

Post by Kellanved »

There seems to be a stray linebreak in front of the image output. Have you tried enabling the debug modes in the config.php?

Edit: There is probably an empty line in front, before the <?php, of one of the files that are always included. Common.php, config.php, lang/*/common.php or similar.
Nocando is in Idontwanna county. No support via PM
sypher01

Post by sypher01 »

Will search ...
But since only the avatars are broken, then i suppose its something included from "file.php" right? ...

Edit: i just remembered, i downloaded the files directly from phpbb a white line isnt really possible imho.
I mean, AFTER the problem came, i installed a new phpbb with fresh files.... and the problem is still there. my best guess atm is something to do with the DB.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

As Kellanved explained, those files he mentioned are included in all phpBB pages. Since we are seeing an extra line-break at the top of your forum pages, there is probably a linebreak at the top of one of those files.
Either that, or you have edited a file with the wrong editor, and saved it as UTF-8(w/BOM) encoding.
sypher01

Post by sypher01 »

You are indeed both right;
i owe you all (and the guys in IRC) my apologies.

The damn whiteline made it there (functions.php) i dont know how, and also made it into the files that i downloaded (again) from phpbb.com.

I can just think that it happened by coda or something, i dont really know how, because that whitespace wasnt even present in the testing server ...
Also, the fact that by changing the character encoding the avatars were showing (i swear i seen it, else im hallucinating) were taking me into more and more darkness and despair ...

Gosh, i lost a whole day and made you guys lose so much time ...
My deepest apologies for that.
Anyway, now i reverted back to yesterday backup; everything's working kinda fine and im happy about it.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”