Help required: upgrading 3.0.0 to 3.0.6

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Up the Junction

Help required: upgrading 3.0.0 to 3.0.6

Post by Up the Junction »

As it says on the tin! Am currently running 3.0.0 (with a modified Prosilver theme) and wish to upgrade to the latest release.

I've searched around the forum and found answers to one or two questions but nothing comprehensive, so I wondered if someone could point me in the right direction. My apologies if I'm going over old ground.

1. What is my best plan of attack? A fresh install of 3.0.6 (see Q5) - or upgrade my existing 3.0.0 configuration?

2. What issues will I have (if any) with our (modified) Prosilver theme?

3. What files will I need to back-up; so far I have config.php and images/files/styles folders) plus...

4. Are there any changes between the two versions to the overall_header and overall_footer pages? Again, ours are modifed.

On a completely unrelated issue, I'm looking to trim our members list down considerably but there appears to be no option to do that bulk in 3.0.0. Is that now available in 3.0.6 - or will I need to go down the modding route?

Thanks in advance for any help. My forum details, if they help, are as follows: 14k members; 7k topics; 410k posts; db size 575mb.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Help required: upgrading 3.0.0 to 3.0.6

Post by KevC »

Up the Junction wrote:1. What is my best plan of attack? A fresh install of 3.0.6 (see Q5) - or upgrade my existing 3.0.0 configuration?
If you have no other MODs I'd got for a fresh file set and reapply the style changes.

*NOTE: Before proceeding backup all files and the database.*
  • Upload all new files from a download of the full version, except for config.php, the /images and /files folders.
  • Go to yoursite.com/forumfolder/install/database_update.php
  • Let that run and then delete the install folder.
  • You now have a new up to date board containing all your users and posts but without any MODs that you might have had installed.
Up the Junction wrote:2. What issues will I have (if any) with our (modified) Prosilver theme?
You would need to do 6 versions of style updates if you want to keep it as it is. Easier to update and reapply the changes.
Up the Junction wrote:3. What files will I need to back-up; so far I have config.php and images/files/styles folders) plus...
That's about it.
Up the Junction wrote:4. Are there any changes between the two versions to the overall_header and overall_footer pages? Again, ours are modifed.
Probably. I can't remember. But if you look in the styles forum it has stickies for the file changes for each version.
Up the Junction wrote:On a completely unrelated issue, I'm looking to trim our members list down considerably but there appears to be no option
Did you look at users and groups>prune users?
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Up the Junction

Post by Up the Junction »

Kevin - thank you. That's really helpful. Will look into the prune function right away.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, question 5 never made the final draft but I foolishly forgot to remove the reference...
acecm8y

Post by acecm8y »

I have just attempted upgrading my board using a copy of the database and a clean set of phpbb3.0.6 files as my current version is 3.0.0.

The database_upgrade.php ran and reported no errors, but on trying to access the forum I got

Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php

I looked in the cache folder and there was only the index.html file there. I tried going to the admin area and got the same error so I copied the file from the live forum to the new one and still get the same error.

http://www.aircadetcentral.net/phpbb3/ - new
http://www.aircadetcentral.net/forums/ - current

Any help greatly appreciated

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”