Preventing Spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and Above [*Read First Post*]

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Eriamjh1138

Re: Preventing Spam in phpBB 3.0.6 [*Read First Post*]

Post by Eriamjh1138 »

Paul wrote:I suggest you try to ask in the MOD requests forum :)
I probably will. ;) But for now, my spam problems have stopped with Sortables and custom profile fields. If I can help stop spam, I will. Thanks for the suggestion.
Tonttu

Post by Tonttu »

This is also supported by XRumer now I hear:
<link removed>
Hi. I need to crack captcha. Do you provide a captcha decoders?
DeCaptcher CAPTCHA solving is processed by humans. So the accuracy is much better than an automated captcha solver ones.
Last edited by Kellanved on Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed SPAM link.
az2000

Post by az2000 »

Tonttu wrote:This is also supported by XRumer now I hear:
*link removed*
Hi. I need to crack captcha. Do you provide a captcha decoders?
DeCaptcher CAPTCHA solving is processed by humans. So the accuracy is much better than an automated captcha solver ones.
That's why I think there's no way to avoid defining members of "newly registered users" as their first 5-15 posts requiring review. Or, using "akismet" or "spam karma II" on members of "newly registered users" to try and catch spammy posts.

It sounds like a combination between 1) captchas to make it difficult, 2) custom profile fields for boards that aren't significant enough to cause a spammer to customize his bot, 3) what I mentioned above to catch the human spammers.

All those things are about making it not worth the spammer's time. Depending on the size or topic of a board (i.e., value of the audience), #3 seems inevitable. Then it's just a question of whether you want to manually review newly-registered posts, or live with the imperfections of either of the services mentioned: false alerts requiring action (resulting in delayed posts for unfortunate newly-registered users), and undetected spam (requiring deletion, but providing feedback to the service in order to improve the service for other participants.).
Eriamjh1138

Post by Eriamjh1138 »

Tonttu wrote:This is also supported by XRumer now I hear:
*link removed*
Wow. Companies to spread spam.

It would be unfortunate is some hackers targeted them with DOS attacks and such... ;)

I guess there's money in everything.
Tonttu

Post by Tonttu »

Eriamjh1138 wrote: I guess there's money in everything.
Hey, search engine optimizing spam is where it's at!!

Check the new update of your enemy number one:
<link removed>
+ New recognition technology was developed for graphic captcha, that will facilitate the recognition of ReCaptcha etc.
+ The processing of engine phpBB3 is corrected
+ Improved recognition of ReCaptcha.
+ Success rate of checking of active links was improved (CheckForActiveLink = 1 in xuser.ini)+ Fixed uploading of avatars to phpBB3 and other engines.
+ Added possibility to change email at registration on forums if initial email was banned.
Visiting this site is also an enlightening experience:
<link removed>
Last edited by Kellanved on Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed SPAM links
Cpt. Blackbeard

Post by Cpt. Blackbeard »

I can't believe such sites are even legal, it's the equivalent of opening a business selling ways to bypass locks and security systems on homes so people can get inside and harass the residents.
geckzilla

Post by geckzilla »

I had a different idea about stopping spam. Recently, I had the misfortune of having the exact same user sign up and post some spam on two different boards I help run. The two boards are not linked to each other in any way at all... they are totally unrelated. But the user signed up with the same IP address in both instances.

If there were a central database that tracked what IPs were signing up to multiple phpbb3 installations (the domain name or install path could be used as the ID) then phpbb spamming could practically be eliminated 100% unless they find a way to change their IP address every time they sign up.

Oh well, I know that's probably not going to happen for various reasons but it's a thought.
Tonttu

Post by Tonttu »

Kellanved: you removed the links I posted, but I think they have some importance to anyone who is serious about blocking spam. You won't have to just sit and wonder, if there seems to be something flawed in your protection: you can get it straight from the spammers' mouths!

geckzilla: check this out: Anti-Spam ACP mod with Stopforumspam integration. Can't wait to try this in the near future.
Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

The problem with linking pages like that is that you help to increase their popularity and google ranking - you are doing precisely what a bot would do. Any interested user is quite capable of finding these pages. In any case, this part of the discussion is off topic. This topic is about the configuration and use of existing anti-spam plugins, not about the development of new ones.
Nocando is in Idontwanna county. No support via PM
geckzilla

Post by geckzilla »

And here I thought that someone would get annoyed if I started a new topic since the current topic already existed. Can't win either way. Sorry. :oops:
onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo »

There are already DNSBLs and projects such as StopForumSpam that do this. ;)
I like StopForumSpam because admins are able to submit spam data, unlike many other DNSBLs.
Need help preventing spam? Read Preventing spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and above
az2000

Post by az2000 »

onehundredandtwo wrote:There are already DNSBLs and projects such as StopForumSpam that do this. ;)
I like StopForumSpam because admins are able to submit spam data, unlike many other DNSBLs.
Does DNSBL mean to blacklist an IP address?

The reason I ask is, I noticed in the ACP->Server Conf.->Security settings it has an option to check IPs against DNSBL services. So, it sounds like it's IP based blacklisting.

Is that safe to do? I thought spammers use anonymizing proxies and their IP address could be a legitimate user's?
Ger
Recognised Extension Developer

Post by Ger »

Does anyone have any experience with botscout?
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Ger wrote:Does anyone have any experience with botscout?
I personally don't have any experience with 'botscout' but, IMO, there should be no need to use third party add-ons. If you follow the first post in this topic specifically Knowledge Base - Custom Profile Fields as an Anti-Spammer Tool, you should be able to stop any unwanted bot attacks. I have not had one successful attempt since I installed custom profile fields over a year ago.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Cpt. Blackbeard wrote:I can't believe such sites are even legal, it's the equivalent of opening a business selling ways to bypass locks and security systems on homes so people can get inside and harass the residents.
The problem is that spam itself is legal, albeit infuriating, so why would it be illegal to sell software to facilitate it? When spammers get in trouble and get charged with something, it's usually because they hacked into someone's system in order to send their spam. The act of sending unsolicited commercial E-mail is not, in and of itself, illegal.

Moreover, any attempt to make it illegal is doomed to fail, because businesses want the option of using it.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”