Preventing Spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and Above [*Read First Post*]

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Locked
Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 4783
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: Hollister, CA
Name: Steve
Contact:

Re: Preventing Spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and Above [*Read First Po

Post by Pony99CA » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:03 pm

boltfox20 wrote:Is there a way to add these CAPTCHAs to unregistered guest posting?
On the ACP's Spambot countermeasures page, have you looked at the Enable spambot countermeasures for guest postings option? ;)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

User avatar
nuworld
Registered User
Posts: 339
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:28 pm

Re: Preventing Spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and Above [*Read First Po

Post by nuworld » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:21 am

Well as with everyone else I'm gettint hit with the spammers mostly from Russia and the Ukraine and Poland.

I have enabled the Q&A on my site.
But the Question does not show up during registration.
I'm sure it is a style issue for the fact it works in both the default subsilver and the subsilver2.

But I'm using rainbow pearl (Subsilver2 Based) is there an edit that i need to change in my style to make the question show during registration?

I already have the updated rainbow pearl style 308
Updated it manually myself.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Last edited by nuworld on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
/a3
Registered User
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:08 am
Location: /dev/random

Re: Preventing Spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and Above [*Read First Po

Post by /a3 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:00 am

Yes, use the latest version of that style: Rainbow Pearl (Styles DB). :)
$ git commit -m "YOLO"

User avatar
nuworld
Registered User
Posts: 339
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:28 pm

Re: Preventing Spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and Above [*Read First Po

Post by nuworld » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:11 am

I already have the updated rainbow pearl style 308
Updated it manually myself.

Any other ideas?

manicx
Registered User
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:40 pm

Re: Preventing Spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and Above [*Read First Po

Post by manicx » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:45 am

The last 2-3 weeks, a certain spambot has managed to go through all Spambot countermeasures. I was using reCAPTCHA but they completely went through this. I now set up a Q&A and the default forum language is Greek but I just had a registration with user 09TOglynda. Most spambot registrations have a number in the beginning just like this example. I really cannot understand how they manage to go through Q&A...

User avatar
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Posts: 2662
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: London, UK
Name: Callum Macrae
Contact:

Re: Preventing Spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and Above [*Read First Po

Post by callumacrae » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:54 pm

manicx wrote:The last 2-3 weeks, a certain spambot has managed to go through all Spambot countermeasures. I was using reCAPTCHA but they completely went through this. I now set up a Q&A and the default forum language is Greek but I just had a registration with user 09TOglynda. Most spambot registrations have a number in the beginning just like this example. I really cannot understand how they manage to go through Q&A...
Are you using tricky questions? The bots aren't stupid :)

~Callum
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

carla1234
Registered User
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:01 pm

Re: Preventing Spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and Above [*Read First Po

Post by carla1234 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:06 pm

Callum95 wrote:
manicx wrote:The last 2-3 weeks, a certain spambot has managed to go through all Spambot countermeasures. I was using reCAPTCHA but they completely went through this. I now set up a Q&A and the default forum language is Greek but I just had a registration with user 09TOglynda. Most spambot registrations have a number in the beginning just like this example. I really cannot understand how they manage to go through Q&A...
Are you using tricky questions? The bots aren't stupid :)

~Callum
Possible it was a human that signed up?
I would not panic and see if happens again.

Yeah what is the question?

User avatar
nuworld
Registered User
Posts: 339
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:28 pm

Re: Preventing Spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and Above [*Read First Po

Post by nuworld » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:29 pm

nuworld wrote:Well as with everyone else I'm gettint hit with the spammers mostly from Russia and the Ukraine and Poland.

I have enabled the Q&A on my site.
But the Question does not show up during registration.
I'm sure it is a style issue for the fact it works in both the default subsilver and the subsilver2.

But I'm using rainbow pearl (Subsilver2 Based) is there an edit that i need to change in my style to make the question show during registration?

I already have the updated rainbow pearl style 308
Updated it manually myself.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
A little help? Anyone!

sgreen0
Registered User
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:22 pm

Re: Preventing Spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and Above [*Read First Po

Post by sgreen0 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:48 am

I'm using 3.08, and no matter what version of Captcha I try (most recently reCaptcha), the bots still get through.

Any suggestions?

Stephen

Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 4783
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: Hollister, CA
Name: Steve
Contact:

Re: Preventing Spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and Above [*Read First Po

Post by Pony99CA » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:19 am

nuworld wrote:I have enabled the Q&A on my site.
But the Question does not show up during registration.
I'm sure it is a style issue for the fact it works in both the default subsilver and the subsilver2.
If it works with the default styles, it's clearly a support question for the style's author and you should ask where you got the style from.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

User avatar
wmtipton
Registered User
Posts: 564
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Preventing Spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and Above [*Read First Po

Post by wmtipton » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:54 am

nuworld wrote:Well as with everyone else I'm gettint hit with the spammers mostly from Russia and the Ukraine and Poland.

I have enabled the Q&A on my site.
But the Question does not show up during registration.
I'm sure it is a style issue for the fact it works in both the default subsilver and the subsilver2.

But I'm using rainbow pearl (Subsilver2 Based) is there an edit that i need to change in my style to make the question show during registration?

I already have the updated rainbow pearl style 308
Updated it manually myself.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Oh....maybe thats the issue with others who are still getting hit.
Im using prosilver that I modified myself so thats likely why Im not having any trouble using the Q&A.
Its been over a week and not a single spambot has gotten thru yet.
mysql database backup software - mysql Workbench

Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 4783
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: Hollister, CA
Name: Steve
Contact:

Re: Preventing Spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and Above [*Read First Po

Post by Pony99CA » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:19 am

sgreen0 wrote:I'm using 3.08, and no matter what version of Captcha I try (most recently reCaptcha), the bots still get through.

Any suggestions?
Have you tried Q&A with difficult questions (ones they have to search your site for)?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

User avatar
urlord
Registered User
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2002 11:54 am
Location: San Antonio
Contact:

Re: Preventing Spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and Above [*Read First Po

Post by urlord » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:00 pm

I started using the q&a and the spambots stopped completely. I tried an experiment this morning where I went back to reCAPTCHA and within minutes I had three spambots register. If the q&a questions are tricky enough they will work I will go back to the q&a and change the questions when they start getting thru
Napigators.com
A Free Speech Forum where you can Say and Talk about Whatever you want

750turbo
Registered User
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: Preventing Spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and Above [*Read First Po

Post by 750turbo » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:52 pm

I can't get Q&A to work with acidtechred (3.0.8) - does anyone else have it working or know how to get it to work? I just get a "enter activation code" box appear, and no question.

GD3D worked for a while but the spammers are back :cry:

sgreen0
Registered User
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:22 pm

Re: Preventing Spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and Above [*Read First Po

Post by sgreen0 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:09 pm

I tried to add Q&A's as suggested in the Sticky - a math question and a text question. But I couldn't make them work.

I'm using a pretty standard instalation with prosilver style...

Stephen

Locked

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”