Preventing Spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and Above [*Read First Post*]

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
captaintrek

Re: Preventing Spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and Above [*Read First Po

Post by captaintrek »

Is there a way to require email verification for new users? The stock phpBB 3.0.7-PL1 which I installed does not contain email verification systems.
John T. Folden

Post by John T. Folden »

captaintrek wrote:Is there a way to require email verification for new users? The stock phpBB 3.0.7-PL1 which I installed does not contain email verification systems.
Yes, it does. In the ACP under General/User Registration Settings.
The Blue Whale Pub - SPN/SF/F TV Discussion Forum
ZOMBIE ALERT: The Walking Dead are coming to AMC!
captaintrek

Post by captaintrek »

John T. Folden wrote:
captaintrek wrote:Is there a way to require email verification for new users? The stock phpBB 3.0.7-PL1 which I installed does not contain email verification systems.
Yes, it does. In the ACP under General/User Registration Settings.
Which setting do I need to change? Unfortunately, i dont have an option to use email verification on my install

if you take a look at http://trekweb.org/PHPBB.png you can see an image from the ACP (with all real identifying data removed) so that you can see what I mean. There's nowhere where I can choose to require email activation.

(NOTE: trekweb.org is owned by me)
John T. Folden

Post by John T. Folden »

captaintrek wrote:Which setting do I need to change? Unfortunately, i dont have an option to use email verification on my install
A default install, assuming everything is is working properly should look like this:
http://www.learnwebdesignonline.com/ima ... ttings.jpg
captaintrek

Post by captaintrek »

All i did was download the ZIP, ran the install, made a few different selections... ohhhhhhh... I see what I did... I must have borked it. Any idea how I can get those options back?
John T. Folden

Post by John T. Folden »

captaintrek wrote:All i did was download the ZIP, ran the install, made a few different selections... ohhhhhhh... I see what I did... I must have borked it. Any idea how I can get those options back?
Depends on how you "borked it"... ;-)
/a3

Post by /a3 »

captaintrek wrote:All i did was download the ZIP, ran the install, made a few different selections... ohhhhhhh... I see what I did... I must have borked it. Any idea how I can get those options back?
Have you got email enabled on your board? I believe you will need to go to the ACP [General] › Email settings (under client communication) and Enable board-wide emails. :)

Whether you are able to setup email or not will depend on your host (which you may have to ask them). You will be able to use any gmail address if you have the password, but your host will need to have fsockopen() enabled. You could try following this tutorial: [HOWTO] Gmail with phpBB3, and see if it works.
$ git commit -m "YOLO"
Martin Truckenbrodt
Name: Martin Truckenbrodt

Post by Martin Truckenbrodt »

Hello,
some detailed information about email settings in phpBB3: http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/m ... /faq/f_385

@captaintrek: How did you loose the settings?

Bye Martin
Free tutorial: Installing MODs in phpBB 3.0
Advanced Block MOD - Prevent spam on your phpBB 3.0 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists!
My MODs
Use the official phpBB Ideas to vote missing core features!!!
jsebean
Name: Jonah

Post by jsebean »

I have a question: will the origional captcha that came with phpBB, if I change the y and x axis, etc, like shown in this article, will it make it completely protected against spam bots?
-Jonah
:lol:
Martin Truckenbrodt
Name: Martin Truckenbrodt

Post by Martin Truckenbrodt »

Hello jsbean,
1. i don't know
2. no
Bye Martin
Free tutorial: Installing MODs in phpBB 3.0
Advanced Block MOD - Prevent spam on your phpBB 3.0 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists!
My MODs
Use the official phpBB Ideas to vote missing core features!!!
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

Kerrith wrote:Can I, as admin, insert URLs in posts but not allow others to insert URLs in their posts or replies?

Thanks,

Kerry
3.0.7-PL1
This MOD, which isn't approved, would allow you to set the number of posts and/or days to allow registered users to post URLs. I have it set low, so new users don't have to wait long, but you could set it very high if you didn't want to allow users to post URLs, no matter how long they have been members.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2096637

I have Q&A Captcha installed, and even allow guest posting, and don't get spammed.
Go on ! it's not as steep as it looks.....
Kerrith

Post by Kerrith »

Thanks Philthy

Kerry
GeneralOJB

Post by GeneralOJB »

Great post. I generally keep on email activation, have reCaptcha enabled, have moderation queue enabled on the first post and disallow the use of the private messaging system until they have 5 posts.

Blacklisting temporary emails is also good.

The Anti-Spam ACP and stopforumspam MODs are also great.

I have a ban list of over 100,000 proxy/known forum spammers/spambot IPs in .htaccess "deny from" form. PM me if you want it.
/a3

Post by /a3 »

GeneralOJB wrote:I have a ban list of over 100,000 proxy/known forum spammers/spambot IPs in .htaccess "deny from" form. PM me if you want it.
That would be rather inefficient on server resources, wouldn't it?

Besides, there are billions of IP addresses - you can never expect to ban every single address used for spamming purposes. That would be a massive task.
$ git commit -m "YOLO"
Lunesse

Post by Lunesse »

Hey there. I am using 3.0.7-PL1 on dreamhost, I see they don't have the one click for 3.0.8 yet, I will do it as soon as I can.

I have had a problem in the last 2 months with spammers overriding the Newly Registered Users group. Somehow, they are posting anyway, without the post going to moderation. I have it set for 2 posts minimum, and I do capture many spam posts this way. Users must be registered to post, and they must activate themselves to be registered. It is a very busy board, so setting it so that I must manually do it is pretty much impossible.

I haven't found anyone else with this issue. Any ideas how Newly Registered Users is being circumvented?
Gak. I don't need SHE-male imagery on this board! =(

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”