Preventing Spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and Above [*Read First Post*]

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre

Re: Preventing Spam in phpBB 3.0.6 [*Read First Post*]

Postby tommytomato » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:37 am

Darth Wong wrote:
GameVixenZone wrote:I am currently using re-captcha on a large forum. I get so much spam signups I feel like it's even more so than the gd captcha. Is there a way to set the board to have QA with recaptcha without installing a QA mod (since one already exists within 3.0.6)

I personally don't like the visual CAPTCHA systems. I use the Q&A CAPTCHA plugin and my spam signups are pretty much nonexistent lately. I have a rotating group of questions; the trick is that I use (very simple) mathematical word problems. If you use a math problem written like a grade school drill, like "2+2*8", then bots can easily work through that. But if you use a simple mathematical word problem like "Cheryl buys two packs of Girl Guide cookies for $2 each and pays with a $5 bill; how much change should she get back", then bots seem to choke on it. The Q&A CAPTCHA can accept multiple questions too, so you can have four or five rotating questions (it randomly picks one each time).

As some have pointed out to me, it's possible that certain low-IQ humans might choke on a question like that too, but I quite frankly always thought a board would be better off without such stupid people being able to join anyway.

but I quite frankly always thought a board would be better off without such stupid people being able to join anyway

LOL, thanks for the sample

TT ( karl )
System is Ubuntu 9.10 command line server, using Joomla 1.5 with JFusion to bridge phpbb3, site address for our phpbb3 install is http://www.rockinghamgateway.com/forum/
tommytomato

Re: Preventing Spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and Above [*Read First Po

Postby tommytomato » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:50 am

question

when creating my questions and answers, simple as it is to work out, but do you have to create them in different languages too ? or can it be all english

TT ( karl )
System is Ubuntu 9.10 command line server, using Joomla 1.5 with JFusion to bridge phpbb3, site address for our phpbb3 install is http://www.rockinghamgateway.com/forum/
tommytomato

Postby pennycsf » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:42 pm

tommytomato wrote:Any one have some sample questions and anwsers for fight spam

I've just upgrade Ok and I'm working on adding in questions

TT ( karl )

Have a look at the question in my forum link removed

Which item in the list is soft - WoolIronWoodCoalRock?

It has not been beaten yet!
Last edited by darcie on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link not necessary for topic
It's a poor day when you don't learn something!
pennycsf

Name: Frank Parkinson

Postby tommytomato » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:39 pm

Which item in this list is red - IvoryGrassBloodSugarLemon?:

Very cool, Well done

TT ( karl )
tommytomato

Postby callumacrae » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:56 pm

A few example questions:

Type the number 10 in word form (lowercase), followed by the software that this bulletin board is powered by (see footer) in block capitals. Then type the answer to 34 add 52 in number form.

tenPHPBB86

Type the missing letters: yourboardna__ (uppercase), followed by the number between 5 and 7 as a word (lowercase). Finally, complete the pattern: 1,3,5,_,_

MEsix79

~Callum
My mod - phpBB Mobile
Check out my website, lynx.io - featured article: Preventing and dealing with spam

Proud user ofProud user of
callumacrae
Website Team Member
Website Team Member

Name: Callum Macrae

Postby pennycsf » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:35 pm

I have several questions set up in the standard 3.0.8 Q&A Captcha - does anyone know how and when they are rotated? There isn't an obvious way to do this in the ACP.
pennycsf

Postby Pony99CA » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:47 pm

pennycsf wrote:I have several questions set up in the standard 3.0.8 Q&A Captcha - does anyone know how and when they are rotated? There isn't an obvious way to do this in the ACP.

I would guess that the question is selected randomly each time the page is displayed. The other alternative would be to do a fixed rotation through the questions each time the page is displayed.

Why do you ask?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Pony99CA

Name: Steve

Postby laevanay » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:21 am

THank you!!!!! I went through the posts and there does not seem to be any solution to this. All that is advised to create a case and someone will get to it. But its amazing that even disabling Registration people/bots can get through.

Laevanay

Pony99CA wrote:
laevanay wrote:How is it that even after I have disabled User REgistration spambots are still being able to get through?

You may want to discuss that in the Disabled registration and spam bots manage to register topic, which is specifically about that.

Steve
laevanay

Postby pennycsf » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:27 am

Pony99CA wrote:
pennycsf wrote:I have several questions set up in the standard 3.0.8 Q&A Captcha - does anyone know how and when they are rotated? There isn't an obvious way to do this in the ACP.

I would guess that the question is selected randomly each time the page is displayed. The other alternative would be to do a fixed rotation through the questions each time the page is displayed.

Why do you ask?

Steve

Because I want to know if I am wasting my time producing too many questions. In my trials the same question has always come up at the first registration attempt, and I limit the number of registration attempts to three, so more than three questions may be a waste!

Frank

But - after more trials I see that the questions seem to rotated at random - perfect!!
pennycsf

Postby wrongrobot » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:39 pm

No one has any thoughts on my lack of radio buttons on the image rotate mod captcha mentioned in the initial post in this topic?
dang!
wrongrobot

Postby Neurolanis » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:45 am

I'm having trouble installing reCaptcha. Could someone please explain the steps for me?
Neurolanis

Postby laevanay » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:53 am

I have questions enabled... changed the questions and still get spam. I am extremely dissatisfied, because there should be no way. I mean NO WAY someone should or something be able to register NEW users AFTER registration has been disabled....
laevanay

Postby Pony99CA » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:30 am

laevanay wrote:I am extremely dissatisfied, because there should be no way. I mean NO WAY someone should or something be able to register NEW users AFTER registration has been disabled....

If you think that somebody is able to register with registration disabled, you should open a bug. I agree that they shouldn't be able to register in that case, too.

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Pony99CA

Postby Ger » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:01 am

I think it's wiser to post a support topic, and using the complete support request template. It isn't possible to register when registration is disabled. If it is, then there is something wrong with your board I think.
Above message may contain errors in spelling, grammar or other language issues. My apologies in advance.
Sword Facts Benelux, de nederlandse zwaarden site
Ger
Translator

Postby Pony99CA » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:01 am

Ger wrote:I think it's wiser to post a support topic, and using the complete support request template. It isn't possible to register when registration is disabled. If it is, then there is something wrong with your board I think.

While it's not possible to register through the UI, the claim is being made that bots can do it somehow. There's already a support topic open, too -- Disabled registration and spam bots manage to register -- with at least one SRT.

I recommend further discussion go there as this topic is about preventing spam, not a bug in registration.

Steve
Pony99CA

PreviousNext

Return to 3.0.x Support Forum