Preventing Spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and Above [*Read First Post*]

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Auser

Re: Preventing Spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and Above [*Read First Po

Post by Auser »

We have been inundated with spambot registrations since December (50-60 per day). We have the Q&A Captcha and activation only by admin plus new registration status. So, though we get a lot, nothing actually gets through but it is a PITA for the admin folks. Thanks to some hints on here I have re-vamped all the questions to be fairly cryptic and no google answers.

The result - three over the last two days, I'm delighted. I'm sure these buggers will catch up and I will have to keep ahead on the questions.

Seems pretty obvious the spambots can crack Q&A easily :(
neotechni

Post by neotechni »

This 'Newly Registered Users Group', can it be set to forbid links and non-english characters?

We have a spam problem with russian text and I'd just like to block it completely as it's of no use to us.
jas0n-no-spam

Post by jas0n-no-spam »

How about someone at Google writes a MOD for phpBB which allows admin to report a spammer and the links they have added to Google before deleting the spammer and their posts.

This info could be used to:
- devalue links in any posts by the spammer
- freeze/close their gmail account (often they use a gmail address)
- create a blacklist, which other phpBB forums could check new regos against

I have posted the above suggestion at https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... kpmpbdcdef and http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/14/google ... extension/ in the hope that someone at Google sees it and acts on it. If you think this could be effective, you could make that more likely by "liking" my suggestion.

cheers .. Jason
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer »

neotechni wrote:This 'Newly Registered Users Group', can it be set to forbid links and non-english characters?

We have a spam problem with russian text and I'd just like to block it completely as it's of no use to us.

neotechni, install http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/d ... e_x_posts/ and set it's post count the same as your Newly Registered group or you could add a few more just in case you get sneaky spammers. As for the characters I'm not sure.
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .
neotechni

Post by neotechni »

bonelifer wrote:
neotechni wrote:This 'Newly Registered Users Group', can it be set to forbid links and non-english characters?

neotechni, install http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/d ... e_x_posts/ and set it's post count the same as your Newly Registered group or you could add a few more just in case you get sneaky spammers. As for the characters I'm not sure.
Thank you, I appreciate the assistance.

Is there a way to also block posts containing certain phrases? I've noticed one spammer likes to use the same sentence at the end. I really hate that he keeps getting a new IP everytime, which means he knows he's being banned and being a complete jerk by continuing to post.

Worse, I delete his posts before more than 3 users see it anyway, he's just wasting both our times.

This new user group, can you make it so all posts have to be approved by admins before they get seen?
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer »

Yes by default it's set to zero posts(ie disabled). Just go to:

ACP -->> User registration settings -->> New member post limit:

Set it to the number of posts they have to have to before they are removed from the Newly Registered group.

for that mod I suggested, set it to at least the same or more posts.

After you've approved the set amount of posts they'll be removed from the Newly Registered users group. You'll still have to approve and of their posts from before, but after that they are out of the group and able to post as normal.
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .
SHEFmanager

Post by SHEFmanager »

I've had huge problems with spammers these last few months and i set up newly registered users have to have account activated by admins, set the post count to 2 before this ended or they had to have post moderated.
This stopped the spammers dead getting on to the forums as i was checking their details on stop forum spam and therefore banning / deleting them before activating their accounts.
Cant get the question to show up on registrtation for some reason in the captcha Q&A. It all looks fine in ACP but when i go to look at how it looks to new registrators - it simply says Question: but there is no question there. so thats why no one has registered since i changed it to captcha Q&A. i've created a question, put in an answer, refershed, purged the cache and still my question wont appear on registration page.
Last edited by SHEFmanager on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
neotechni

Post by neotechni »

Thank you
ATNO/TW

Post by ATNO/TW »

Just an FYI, that using 3.0.8 with all the defaults and no additional anti-spam mods of any kind, the solution I figured out with 3.0 still works perfectly to prevent 100% of spambot registrations.

It's in the archived thread if you you want to have a look.
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5#p9330945

The code changes I posted there for 3.0 are still the same with 3.0.8
I prefer to still use it because it requires no moderation or maintenance.
"The web is a dominatrix. Every where I turn, I see little buttons ordering me to Submit."
www.ozzu.com || www.alaron-nuclear.com
SHEFmanager

Post by SHEFmanager »

Hi. Could you tell me what this part does? I'm guessing it doesn't send me the mail if a failed registration appears against SFS but it sends it to a website called Spammers Be gone? Or does it send it to both me and them?

Code: Select all

mail("webmaster@your-forum.org","Failed Registration Attempt",$data['email']);
    header('Location: http://spammerbegone.com');
    exit;
fmeos

Post by fmeos »

Good combination could be
reCAPTCHA + Custom Field
Interests: Web Development, Web Designing, Script Installation, Web Programming.
FMEOS: Web Designing and Development.
phpBB Related: Script / Mod Installation and Customization.
phpBB2 to phpBB3 Conversion
Auser

Post by Auser »

SHEFmanager wrote:I've had huge problems with spammers these last few months and i set up newly registered users have to have account activated by admins, set the post count to 2 before this ended or they had to have post moderated.
This stopped the spammers dead getting on to the forums as i was checking their details on stop forum spam and therefore banning / deleting them before activating their accounts.
Cant get the question to show up on registrtation for some reason in the captcha Q&A. It all looks fine in ACP but when i go to look at how it looks to new registrators - it simply says Question: but there is no question there. so thats why no one has registered since i changed it to captcha Q&A. i've created a question, put in an answer, refershed, purged the cache and still my question wont appear on registration page.
You should open a separate thread using the support template. It's probably a mismatch between the version of phpBB3 you are using and your style. The support folks will be able to help you.
MegaMav

Post by MegaMav »

I installed peoplesign, and I have only had 2 spam accounts created in the last month, as opposed to over 200 in the first 2 weeks of January.

I suspect the 2 were human anyway.
Its easy to implement, and it just works.
Give it a shot, if you dont like it, just change your captcha back in the ACP.

-Eric
pennycsf
Name: Frank Parkinson

Post by pennycsf »

MegaMav wrote:I installed peoplesign, and I have only had 2 spam accounts created in the last month, as opposed to over 200 in the first 2 weeks of January.

-Eric
I like what I have seen of Peoplesign. If my Q&A gets broken by bots I will probably switch to using Peoplesign, but I will keep the StopForumSpam check to stop human spammers.
It's a poor day when you don't learn something!
zeromussov

Post by zeromussov »

I want to approve the first post of new users. But when a new user registrates it gets automatically in the 'Registered Users' group ... (which has normal posting permissions)

So what i want:
- when a user register put it in the 'Newly users group' (with permissions approve post)
- after one post, change user group to 'Registered Users'

How is this possible? Thanks in advance!

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”