Is multiple forums using the same database possible?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Shadow of Nobody

Is multiple forums using the same database possible?

Post by Shadow of Nobody »

I feel like I could've used much better grammar for the topic title, but I kept running out of space.

Anyway, as the topic title asks, is it possible to have multiple phpBB forum installations running off a single database? The reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking of a way to get a roleplaying website up by abusing custom portals, namespaces, seperate forums and the wiki-forum intergration extension.

If it's not (Though I think it may be based on another post I've seen), has anyone got any better ideas? :lol:
narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Re: Is multiple forums using the same database possible?

Post by narqelion »

You can use one database to house multiple applications (or forums) that require a database, you would use separate table prefixes. If you are talking about multiple forums sharing the same data, that is a different matter. You might want to provide more detail regarding your desired goal. :)
TrZ

Post by TrZ »

Yes as narqelion stated. It is indeed possible, A little more info would help as to what your exact goals are.
Multiple forums, same database, different data.
Multiple forums, same database, same data, different domains (there's a mod if this is it. - the23 domain - I think it's called.)

Cheers
Shadow of Nobody

Multiple forums, same database. same data, different subdomains would be what I'm trying to go for ;) .

The idea would be that there'd be a single wiki as the main page of the website, and multiple forums on different forums, using different subdomains, all sharing the same login details. Each forum would have a seperate function, but people would have the one account to login to any of the,

I hope that's somewhat more helpful :)
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

So you want to have seperate forums for each subdomain,but the same users?
It is possible, but it would require a lot of code changes. Its not just possible by default.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development
Shadow of Nobody

Basically, yeah. And I'd assumed as much - But figured I'd ask, anyway. It feels like something somebody might have tried before, or at least have knowledge of how to do.

Since I've not quite got the skills yet to do this, myself, has anyone got any ideas?
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Post by Pit$Bull »

Shadow of Nobody

Unfortunately not, since what I'm trying to find out is if it's possible to get multiple forums using different subdomains using the same database information, as opposed to a single forum using multiple domain names :| .
Shadow of Nobody

Anybody? Not sure about rules pertaining to bumping topics, but it's been about 7 or 8 hours.
Paul
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

You will need a MOD for it, but I dont think that exists, or write yourself, or ask someone else to write it.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”