Missing Avatars and Captcha after upgrading to 3.0.6

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Rick King

Missing Avatars and Captcha after upgrading to 3.0.6

Post by Rick King »

Hey guys - calling in the big guns ie you guys on this one. I have been using and administering Phpbb3 for around 7 months now very successfully - only recently found something I couldn't fix. I just upgraded my site at http://www.kingofalltrades.com/forum/ to 3.0.6

I've tried everything I can think of to get avatars to show, and captchas. Could really use the collective help to get it fixed. I'm nearly about to give up - but I know alot of you have a great deal of experience tweaking the program. Thanks for any help you can give - in advance. My email address is now listed in my profile in here if anyone wants to email me directly.

Basically - prior to 3.0.6 - (3.0.5) I was already having issues with the captchas. When I upgraded - avatars added themselves mysteriously to the list.

Prior to all this insanity - I had moved the files on my dedicated server on network solutions from the incorrectly pathed /htdocs/ folder to the /httpdocs/ part of the server structure. I'm running on a linux server. Installation of 3.0.6 was pretty painless - but not even adding about every captcha mod for 3.0.6 would work - and the avatar issue remains. I've tried upping the max limits in the ACP - tweaking the allowed attachment extensions - playing with a possible fix in /downloads/file.php - nothing.

I'll provide whatever info you guys need to resolve this. At a complete standstill with other projects til I get it up - mainly disappoints me because I've had such great luck over the past year with phpbb3 and this has been the first real snafu.

Thanks

Rick King
kingofalltrades.com :lol:
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Missing Avatars and Captcha after upgrading to 3.0.6

Post by stevemaury »

Please fill out the Support Request Template Generator and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Rick King

Post by Rick King »

This no avatar/captcha thing is literally driving me to madness.

Rick
Last edited by Rick King on Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

stevemaury wrote:Please fill out the Support Request Template Generator and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.

Read the post, not my signature.

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Rick King

Post by Rick King »

Apologies - doing alot of work today - eyes playing tricks...

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.6
What is your board's URL? http://www.kingofalltrades.com/
Who do you host your board with? Network Solutions VPS Dedicated Server
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
Is your board a fresh install or a conversion? Fresh Install
Do you have any MODs installed? Yes
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
What MODs do you have installed? Anti Spam ACP, NV Who was here, sortables captcha, Q&A captcha, Crazy Maths Captcha, reCaptcha
What styles do you currently have installed? My own theme - King Green - based on fae forest and just haven't updated the copywrite with you guys yet
What language(s) is your board currently using? Every language pack
Which database type/version are you using? I Don't Know
What is your level of experience? New to PHP but not phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? Make one
What password can be used to view this issue? Make one
When did your problem begin? Our domain was pointed to our "htdocs" directory versus the "httpdocs" folder it should have - one night the whole thing automatically swiched to the httpdocs when we were fine tuning things - and we had to move the entire site to the new directory. Worked fine after that move - but about a week later - seems the captcha stopped then the avatars. Not sure what we did to cause it. I know we had to restart the server once - and we shifted every file for the site from /htdocs/ to /httpdocs/
Everything resides on a Network Solutions VPS dedicated server with plenty of memory and space.
Please describe your problem. If you enable captchas - ANY captchas - (why I loaded more than a couple captcha mods trying to fix it) no captcha will appear.

Avatars - no idea - one day they were there the next they were gone.
Generated by SRT Generator ($Rev: 3396 $)
Last edited by Pit$Bull on Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed code tags
Rick King

Post by Rick King »

Thanks for editing my fumbled code on that last post. Going to have my other site tech keep checking in here for any posts as the days go forward. Thanks to all for the assistance as we try to work through this.

Rick
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

This is a Fantastico installation. It does not use the download from phpbb.com. As such, it is not supported here.

HawaiiMike

Post by HawaiiMike »

Steve,
I'm the other site tech Rick mentioned. I am very new to phpbb, but am an experienced Linux system administrator who has been volunteering his time. I've been trying to troubleshoot this from the system side of the house and haven't been having any luck.

You mention that this is a fantastico install and as such is not supported here (How do you know that?). From what I could tell (and I'm not physically working with Rick), he has been installing packages using the standard installation... but again, I'm really new at this.

Given the symptoms that Rick described above does any pop out at you as to a possible solution? Regarding the avatars, the upload is definitely working with a avatar file resident on the server and the avatar entry in the database being populated.

Best,
Mike
HawaiiMike

Post by HawaiiMike »

Thought I'd bump this up.

I'd really be interested in finding out how one can know if we have a "standard" install or if it is a "Fantastico" install. Unfortunately, Rick (the OP), is out of pocket/contact for a few more days so I can't ask him.... as I said, I'm pretty sure it was a standard install from the standard phpbb package.

Also, I can get around the system just fine and am comfortable making file/system modifications, so if someone has any ideas or could point me in a general direction we would appreciate it. As I stated above, I'm fairly confident that permissions are correct. The avatars are getting uploaded correctly with a file resident on the server and an entry inserted into the database. Same goes for deletes (i.e. file gets removed from the system and the entry from the database is removed).

thanks,
Mike
TobyMac

Post by TobyMac »

I am having the same problem! Avatars were there one day and now they are gone. I have the file.php and check permissions and they are set to 777. Checked avatar settings and they are the same as they have always been.

Smilies are there, but avatars just have a box with red "x".

I sure hope someone knows the answer to this one.
HawaiiMike

Post by HawaiiMike »

I've also got that debug mod installed ( http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=587438 )hoping I zero in on the issue a bit more. no joy. If anyone has an idea in which file I could drop a couple lines of php to output some debug, let me know.

thanks,
Mike
HawaiiMike

Post by HawaiiMike »

OK, this has GOT to point someone here in the right direction.

I created a directory called avatars under the forum/images/avatars/gallery directory and copied all the avatars from the forum/images/avatars/upload directory. All the avatars show up and I can select the image corresponding to the one i originally uploaded and use that for my avatar. It works, and my avatar shows up in the forums.

Obviously, that isn't right, so does someone have any idea on where I can look so I can get things configured correctly?

thanks,
Mike
HawaiiMike

Post by HawaiiMike »

wanted to bump this up since this was posted later in the evening last night. see previous post.

I have read about this symptom in several places on the web, however no resolution.
HawaiiMike

Post by HawaiiMike »

Hey if one of you "Support" team members could come down off you high horse for a minute and help someone who is trying to "Create" a "Community", I'd appreciate it.

I spent all of yesterday finding all the php files that had either a white line before the first line, or a CR after the last line (don't know if that even matters). No files had a white line at the top of the file, but there were a few with a carriage return. Still no affect.

I also checked the language files, to make sure they were in UTF-8 with no BOM. Everything was good.

However, if I look at the page source, I do have something wierd in the header:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

there ae some additional spaces before the <!DOCTYPE. Could whatever is adding those spaces cause the issue we are seeing?

If not, could one of the "support team members" look through all the substantial debugging I have done and give me a suggestion?

Mike
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

HawaiiMike wrote:Hey if one of you "Support" team members could come down off you high horse for a minute and help someone who is trying to "Create" a "Community", I'd appreciate it.
Please keep in mind that, regardless of your frustration, respecting other users is of significant importance and continuing to fail to do so will likely result in you being issued a warning.

The indication that the board is a Fantastico install is the number of language packs installed - Fantastico installs every language pack available.

That being said, there are two possible causes for your problems -- the first is that your style has not been updated to 3.0.6. If this has already been taken care of; you can likely rectify this by replacing both /download/file.php and /includes/captcha/captcha_factory.php

Otherwise, if that does not work, you can simply try replacing all of the board files, or enabling DEBUG and DEBUG_EXTRA via config.php if you have not already to see if there is any useful output.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”