Learning MOD

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
breadncup

Learning MOD

Post by breadncup » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Hi,

I am pretty new to phpbb, and MOD looks like plugin or extensions, but it looks modifying a phpbb code itself. Am I understanding correctly?

If then, isn't it a problem when phpbb is upgraded? If phpbb upgrades, doesn't it override the old code including modified code? If then, what about the MOD? If the MOD stayed in old version, but phpBB is new, what would happen?

Is there good docs or faq about MOD for a person who is starting to see a MOD like me?

It might be stupid question, but it looks too wide to search the basic question over here to me.

Thank you,

NathanFtw

Re: Learning MOD

Post by NathanFtw » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:35 pm

When you upgrade phpBB, you have the ability to use the automatic update package, where it'll tell you if you have any conflicts and you can view them and either fix them yourself, let the package over write them or whatever you like.

Normally most mods are compatable with the newer versions of phpBB, but you may have some trouble with the huge mods.

I updated my board to 3.0.6 a week ago and ive got at least 20 mods on there and I only had problems with 1 mod which was an easy fix :)

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:36 pm

Information on how to install MODs is in this topic.

Please see the Coding Guidelines

There are automatic update packages which take care of reconciling MODs with the new code.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

breadncup

Post by breadncup » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:47 pm

Thanks for sharing the information.

Hmm..looks like it is scare to me to use MOD if it is modifying phpBB code itself and there might be possible problem while upgrading. Hmmmmmm....

If it has lots of hooks to allow plugins/extensions like wordpress.....

Well..thank you anyway.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”