Where are the pictures?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
rusty12345678909

Where are the pictures?

Post by rusty12345678909 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:05 pm

I can post pictures on my site and they load and work just fine and as expected but if I want to link to the picture on another site it never works am I doing something wrong?

In v2 all I have to do is right click on a picture and click "copy image location" then paste it on another forum and they can see the pictures, if I do this in V3 all they see is is the link with the image tags around it, no picture, am I doing something wrong?

I didnt search here I really didnt know what to search for, sorry if this has already been answered in the past.

I am using the current version 3.0.6

Thanks in advance.

Merry Christmas to all!

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Re: Where are the pictures?

Post by ric323 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:38 pm

That is done by design, to stop people stealing images from your board.
All those images (and anything else attached to messages) are saved in the "/files" folder, with arbitrary filenames. This has specifically been done to stop them being linked to from elsewhere.

If you want to display images on other websites, then just upload them to your web server using FTP, don't attach them to phpBB messages.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

Cpt. Blackbeard

Post by Cpt. Blackbeard » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:41 pm

ric323 wrote:That is done by design, to stop people stealing images from your board.
All those images (and anything else attached to messages) are saved in the "/files" folder, with arbitrary filenames. This has specifically been done to stop them being linked to from elsewhere.

If you want to display images on other websites, then just upload them to your web server using FTP, don't attach them to phpBB messages.
I am very glad to learn this, thank you phpBB Team.

rusty12345678909

Post by rusty12345678909 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:44 am

ric323 wrote:That is done by design, to stop people stealing images from your board.

I dont understand the concern with people stealing images from my board, is their a switch some place to turn this off?

The main reason I want to do this is its fast easy, I have been linking to pics like this since the attachment mod came out for PHPBB 5+ years ago?

Is their a mod to turn off this feature?

Is their another attachment mod for V3 I can install as a work around this problem?

Thanks again.

onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:47 am

phpBB did this so that forums could have permissions to disallow people from viewing attachments. You cannot turn this feature off - it is in the phpBB core.

The best way would be to upload your images via FTP and if you want to use them in your board then you can use the [img] tag.
Need help preventing spam? Read Preventing spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and above

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:49 am

rusty12345678909 wrote:I dont understand the concern with people stealing images from my board
Because they don't often just take a copy once, they link to the image on your web server, and it uses YOUR bandwidth any time the image is displayed on THEIR website.

As mentioned, attachment handling is not a MOD for phpBB3, it is a feature built into the core. You cannot easily remove the current implementation and insert a replacement.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

rusty12345678909

Post by rusty12345678909 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:03 pm

ric323 wrote:
rusty12345678909 wrote:I dont understand the concern with people stealing images from my board
Because they don't often just take a copy once, they link to the image on your web server, and it uses YOUR bandwidth any time the image is displayed on THEIR website.

As mentioned, attachment handling is not a MOD for phpBB3, it is a feature built into the core. You cannot easily remove the current implementation and insert a replacement.
I have unlimited web space and unlimited band width for FREE so none of that is a concern for me, this sucks I really like PHPBB I am sad you dont have a switch to turn off the protection, a switch would allow me to choose how I want it to work, I am a member on a number of vBulletin boards that dont do this I can link pics off their site to any place on the web I want, I guess I will have to switch to vBulletin rather than finially making the switch from V2 to V3.

What exactly is this called so I can search out the planet and learn more about this apparent image taking thing that must be a problem?

I also noticed that the images in the files folder are unusable the file name is changed and their is no extension, if I download them to my computer I can no longer view the pictures for example one picture file name is now changed to 2_b0a48371570d704102111364a5b7616e this makes trying to use pictures else where a huge problem.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:11 pm

To use the picture elsewhere, upload a copy of the image to a different folder. The feature is designed to allow files to be SECURELY attached to phpbb posts, not to be an FTP server or a Photobucket.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

rusty12345678909

Post by rusty12345678909 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:10 pm

stevemaury wrote:To use the picture elsewhere, upload a copy of the image to a different folder. The feature is designed to allow files to be SECURELY attached to phpbb posts, not to be an FTP server or a Photobucket.

I have 26,000 pictures in my files folder on my V2 so when I upgrade I should create another folder and upload the pics to and have 52,000 pictures on my server, this makes for LONG backups to download then I have to span my site backups over TWO DVD's nice solution...

V2 with the attachment mod works perfectly, I have been using it this way for 5 or more years, I am use to being able to link pics off my site to others and link pics off other sites to my site I will just find another solution since PHPBB cant do what I need.

FYI many times I take pictures right off my camera and put them on my web site in post then delete them off my camera.

Thanks for the help..

Thanks for playing internet picture cops I am sure your doing a good thing.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:27 pm

You will note that it is not only image files that can be uploaded to your files folder, but executables as well. Would you like to give the entire internet the ability to upload and then execute files on your server? Do you think that might be a security issue?

This is bulletin board software, NOT Photobucket.

If you wish to have a function where you can upload photos so the world can hotlink to them, then do not use the phpbb attachment feature. Just upload them to a folder on your server and link to them in the posts.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:29 pm

You should be able to link to an image attachment on another forum just fine.
Right-click on the image attachment and get its URL, just like this:

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:39 pm

rusty12345678909 wrote:In v2 all I have to do is right click on a picture and click "copy image location" then paste it on another forum and they can see the pictures, if I do this in V3 all they see is is the link with the image tags around it, no picture, am I doing something wrong?
I do not know why everybody that has replied previously has given you incorrect information, but they did. It is most definitely possible to hotlink to uploaded image attachments on a version 3 board, I do it all the time. The url of the source location should have a format similar to the following url:

Code: Select all

http://yourwebsite.xxx/yourphpBBfolder/download/file.php?id=1
If you are not able to hotlink it has nothing to do with phpBB but more likely a permissions setting on the folder or an overall hotlink setting on your webhosting account. When selecting the uploaded image right click and select 'copy image location', it definitely works. Please see the following topic where I previously corrected incorrect advice regarding this same issue. :roll:

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:40 pm

narqelion wrote: It is most definitely possible to hotlink to uploaded image attachments on a version 3 board, I do it all the time.
As I did in my previous post.

rusty12345678909

Post by rusty12345678909 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:40 pm

stevemaury wrote:You will note that it is not only image files that can be uploaded to your files folder, but executables as well. Would you like to give the entire internet the ability to upload and then execute files on your server? Do you think that might be a security issue?

This is bulletin board software, NOT Photobucket.

If you wish to have a function where you can upload photos so the world can hotlink to them, then do not use the phpbb attachment feature. Just upload them to a folder on your server and link to them in the posts.

EXE files are NOT allowed to be uploaded to my site.

Never heard of this being a issue, I am sure you have your setting at problem central.

My users and I have been using my site and its attachments since the attachment mod came out, the only problem we have had so far is the feature being removed.

Their is no need for us to go back and forth on this, if it cant be changed or undone the conversation is over I will just jump on the vBulletin band wagon like everybody else, I have had many of my sites users offer to buy vBulletin for me, my users and myself HATE change so we never made any changes.

Thanks again
Last edited by rusty12345678909 on Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:42 pm

Did you even bother looking at my post, where I hotlinked an image from my own forum?

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.castledoom.com/CN/download/file.php?id=494[/img]

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”