Where are the pictures?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Where are the pictures?

Post by stevemaury » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:05 pm

Yep, now we can see it.

What do you mean "verify"?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

rusty12345678909

Post by rusty12345678909 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:35 pm

stevemaury wrote:Yep, now we can see it.

What do you mean "verify"?
Thanks

Well before I could see the pics so thought you could too, I had thought I had the guest permissions set correctly and I didnt I only had part of them set so what steps do I take to verify the permissions is my computer or browser cache going to fool me into thinking I have something I dont or what ever their has to be a procedure you take to verify your settings are working as expected.

I would have never figured out those guest settings I just went through the permissions thing and counted at least 6 different pages or places I can adjust guest permissions, I had no idea I needed to pick 2 out of 6 to make it work, why not 3 out of 6 or 1 out of 6 I had one of the two required to make it work set right.

Thanks again

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:49 pm

It is simple to "verify".
Just log-out of your forum, and then see if you can see those pictures in the topic.

rusty12345678909

Post by rusty12345678909 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:21 pm

Brf wrote:It is simple to "verify".
Just log-out of your forum, and then see if you can see those pictures in the topic.
I did that and I could see them, I assumed you seen them also then I found out you could not see them so we had to start over.

rusty12345678909

Post by rusty12345678909 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:28 pm

I said
Since I originally started this post I have yet to find a message board on the internet that you cant link pictures.

Then you said
This statement doesn't make much sense either. What are you trying to say?

I belong to a bunch of message boards all over the internet, all the board we make use of pictures, I have yet to find a message board we cant link pictures to, everybody does it, I link off my site I link off other sites they link off mine I dont know how else to explain it.

rusty12345678909

Post by rusty12345678909 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:41 pm

I said
Does someone make a mod that returns the attachment behavior back to how it works in PHPBB2?

Then you said

Not that I am aware of. phpBB3 does not just publish the real address of images for two reasons:
[1] With the real address, anyone can bypass phpBB3's permission settings.
[2] With the real address, hacker can try to upload images containing Malware, and try to find exploits to allow them to be executed on your website.

No doubt someone can smuggle a suite case nuclear bomb into the white house too, been using PHPBB2 with the attachment mod since 2003 no problems, only complaints have been on this site, I converted my site from PHPBB2 to PHPBB3 I go into my "files" directory and see all my pictures from the past, I can download them, resize them, reupload them, put them on a DVD mail to friends, now I look at the pictures thats been uploaded since upgrading to V3 and all I see is a file name like 2_71d41923ecc332b883a871bd8bc7aa70 that file is 2.9 megs now I cant download it and resize it I am stuck with that file.

In the past my buddy would run a program on his server and resize all the pictures in the files and thumbs directory this would reduce the size of the directory by a few gigs, saves gigs of me downloading and burning to a DVD for a backup we resized them because no matter what we do or how many times we tell people they still take their 7 mega pixel camera and take pictures then upload they dont know how to resize some do but most forget.

If I wanted to remove a bunch of attachments say all the pictures uploaded to my website in 2010 then put them in my photo album (suggestion from a user) the only way I can see to do this now would be to use a offline website downloader to download EVERY post on my site with attachments so I can get the pictures as a jpg

rusty12345678909

Post by rusty12345678909 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:46 pm

I said
Well I can link a picture here but cant link a picture to the old PHPBB2 site wonder where else it wont work?

Then you said
don't understand what you are saying here.
The link you posted isn't working here, because you have blocked the image to guests on your board.
You can't post phpBB3 images on a phpBB2 board, because phpBB2 specifically prevented display of images profuxed by scripts, which is how phpBB3 outputs them.

I said
I can link a pic that was uploaded to my V3 site and the link works here you can see the picture if I take the same link and try to post it on my V2 board you cant see the picture you just see the link, this is not something I plan to do often but it makes me wonder where else on the internet its also not going to work.

Follow me?

Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Post by Pit$Bull » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:02 pm

http://www.phpbb.com/rules/#rule4g
Bumping a topic (replying directly after your own post) is only permitted after six hours have elapsed. Priority is generally assigned to topics in chronological order, so excessive bumping will result in longer wait times.

rusty12345678909

Post by rusty12345678909 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:54 pm

Pit$Bull wrote:http://www.phpbb.com/rules/#rule4g
Bumping a topic (replying directly after your own post) is only permitted after six hours have elapsed. Priority is generally assigned to topics in chronological order, so excessive bumping will result in longer wait times.

Not bumping the post I was replying to the moderators questions, the moderator took one of my post and started cutting it up I have no other idea how to reply to that post once its all cut up other than to break it down into pieces and reply to each one of his questions in a separate reply.

Sorry if it looked like bumping I am not in such a hurry for a reply I need to nag others ;)

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:10 pm

It should be noted that there was no attachment feature in phpbb2. It was only available as a MOD.

You can easily link to attachments on a phpbb board. For example, here is a link to this attachment.

Code: Select all

http://www.phpbb.com/community/download/file.php?id=134546&mode=view
Attachments
546.png
546.png (973.01 KiB) Viewed 209 times
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”