Problem Upgrading to 3.0.6

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
masbuskado

Problem Upgrading to 3.0.6

Post by masbuskado » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:36 am

Ok I think this should be so straigh forward but it doesn't, I have updated my forum since 3.0.1 without a single problem now am having this error when I try to update it to the new version if somebody can help me please I will appreciate it! Thanks!

Here are the pics!

500 Internal Server Error

Already contact my hosting company and they told that there is no problem in the server, I have seen so many people with the same problem that I think I have to focus my search on the installation code.

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Re: Problem Upgrading to 3.0.6

Post by JimA » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:27 am

Your host company told you there was nothing wrong with the server.

However, ask them if you can get a copy of the server error logs for your domain. :)
Because almost always when there is an internal server error, something should be in those logs.
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

masbuskado

Post by masbuskado » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:56 pm

well I went back and ask them but I am in a loop... because they told me that nothing is wrong... and I don't have any kind of "support" here either. :(

I believe I'll have to stick with my half updated forum until I decide what to do with it...

Is state clearly "3.0.x Support Forum" meaning if I have some kind of trouble with my PHPBB ver 3.0.x I can ask what is wrong but always is the same for me no support I have to work things on my own...

Thank you anyway!!!

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:14 pm

The odds are good that your web hosting support is correct in that nothing is wrong with the server. You are running automatic update and unfortunately the new version of automatic update with 3.0.6 is more host resource intensive than previous versions so many boards/servers that were previously able to use this method are no longer able to due to hosting resource constraints. You should only ever use automatic update if you are trying to preserve MOD's applied to your board, do you have any MOD's?

masbuskado

Post by masbuskado » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:40 pm

Yes, I have like 3 Mods and some custom code that I made for the forum... I think everybody have Mods because PHBBB only came with the basic stuff... :( I know is a free software and is really great but some security issues have to be taken into consideration... but well I was thinking on doing a fresh install but I'll lost the concept of the forum...

ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Post by ChriZathens » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:50 pm

narqelion is not suggesting that you go for a fresh install...
She asked you if you have any mods, because in major updates like the one to 3.0.6, if the board is not heavily modded (like yours) it is always better to overwrite your old files with the new ones from the 3.0.6 version, run database_update.php and then re-apply your mods. ;)

The procedure is the following:
Support Team wrote: *NOTE: Before proceeding backup all files and the database.*
  • Upload all new files from a download of the full version, except for config.php, the /images and /files folders.
  • Go to yoursite.com/forumfolder/install/database_update.php
  • Let that run and then delete the install folder.
  • You now have a new up to date board containing all your users and posts but without any MODs that you might have had installed.
Then you can re-apply your mods
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
If you need support click on the support tab there and post your question.
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:38 pm

masbuskado wrote: Is state clearly "3.0.x Support Forum" meaning if I have some kind of trouble with my PHPBB ver 3.0.x I can ask what is wrong but always is the same for me no support I have to work things on my own...

Thank you anyway!!!
you have a total of 33 posts on this board in just a few topics.
you were helped with your problems in all but one that I can tell and for that one, you apparently gave up.

I agree you have had some problems figuring this all out, but that is not for lack of people trying to help you.
In every one of your topics you were given instructions to follow to help you solve your problems.

If you are wanting to modify programs, then you have to expect a learning curve. We all had to learn by doing and asking questions just as you have been doing.

If you only have 3 MODs then it is best to overwrite with new files and then redo the MODs. you will not lose anything. If your current style is subsilver2 ( modified by you ) then do not overwrite the subsilver2 folder.
then you will need to update your custom style manually.
If you make a backup of all your files first, then you can't possibly do anything that you can't recover from in a few clicks.

robert

'
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

masbuskado

Post by masbuskado » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:46 am

Thank you guys that make perfect sense right now!!! I'll try that!
I appreciated! :D :D
Yeap I know that it can be a pain in rear but is like when somebody in my forum ask for help we jump to the topic inmediatly and point that person with some info but sometime it came take a while here, I remember that the first time I lost all the info of my forum so that's the main reason I ask first... so please don't get me wrong! 8-)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”