"Last edited" doesn't count until a reason is provided?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
az2000

"Last edited" doesn't count until a reason is provided?

Post by az2000 »

I'm using 3.0.6. Is this a bug?

When I edit a post, the viewtpoic list doesn't show the "last edited ..., edited n times" message.

However, if I edit it and specify a "reason," then it displays the message (plus the "Reason" line below.). The "n times" shows 1 (not 2).

Next, I can edit the post a third time and remove the reason (and, maybe change some text in the post too). The "Reason" line goes away. But, the "Last edited ...." line remains. And, it's still "1" (not 3).

Next, I can edit the post a fourth time, add a new reason (and, maybe change some text in the post too). The "Reason" line reappears. And, the count is now "2."

It seems like it's only counting how many times a reason was provided, not how many times the post was edited.

Thanks.
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Re: "Last edited" doesn't count until a reason is provided?

Post by ric323 »

This is happening because you are a moderator on that forum.
When moderators edit a message, the count only goes up if they provide a reason, permitting you to do "invisible" fixing of messages.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
az2000

Post by az2000 »

ric323 wrote:This is happening because you are a moderator on that forum.
When moderators edit a message, the count only goes up if they provide a reason, permitting you to do "invisible" fixing of messages.
Thanks. I understand now. I didn't realize I could (as a moderator) edit other people's posts. (I just assigned myself to the moderator group today. I'm otherwise ignorant of moderator features. I'll think about that the next time I encounter something perplexing.).

However, "invisible" fixing doesn't seem desirable to me. I don't think a post should change without a record of it. At my age, I have enough occasions to ask "I don't remember seeing that..." :)

But, that's just a personal opinion. At least it's by design.
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

It is so moderators can remove "objectionable" material.
It is the moderator's decision whether or not to display a reason for the change, or even that the change has been done.
It is not invisible to other moderators. There is a record in the moderator log saying that you edited the post.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”