Attachment do not show after move board

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
peterlin

Attachment do not show after move board

Post by peterlin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:16 pm

I moved my phpBB 3.0.6 from one web host to another.

Issue - Image attachments do not show in the posts

I made a backup copy of the database from the old web host.

Instead of backup and transfer all files, I did a new installation of phpBB 3.0.6 on the new web host.
The settings on the new forum is basically the same - no change in the directory for \images, \files

I use ftp to copy over all files in the \files folder, as well as the \images (which includes subfolder, \avatars, etc)

Everything went well - except the file attachments are no longer viewable on the new forum installed on the new web host

I am looking in the database on the new host - making sure that the Physical_filename
874_c4f3a1162c91036de86e6f9beb8cff42

is copied to \files folder

Is there any else I should have done differently to get the attachments to show up ?

Solution (updated 2010-01-10) : As it turned out FileZilla is the cause to my issue. On the old server, I did a download of test file to my computer using FileZilla. Rename the one on the server. Copy the file back to the server. Now this file no longer display in my forum. I repeat this step with another FTP client - WS_FTP. And this issue does not duplicate.
Last edited by peterlin on Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Re: Attachment do not show after move board

Post by narqelion » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:26 pm

Make sure the folder permissions are set correctly for /files and the owner & group information is correct.
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p11316085

If your image attachments look strange (distorted streaks of color) then they were not transferred in binary when you ftp'd that folder which is a common issue when using ftp to move files in the /files folder as they do not have an extension to trigger ascii or binary mode when using auto.

peterlin

Post by peterlin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:23 pm

my files folder has permission of 777
Existing files (copied over from old web host) has permission of 644

I did a test attachment upload to a post with attachment not being able to display, and the file permission is 600. This allows me to make sure Owner/Group permission is the same of the one I just uploaded as attachment, and ones I copied over from old web host.

So my issue does not appear to be a Owner/Group permission issue. Nor due to that the file is missing. Because when I browse to the post and click on the missing attachment x - I do not get an error message.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:31 pm

If you did a new installation of phpbb3 and did not restore your database, then the attachments folder does not have the information about your attachments. The posts table also contains info about attachments.

Did you restore your database?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

peterlin

Post by peterlin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:40 pm

I did restore my database to the new web host. And I have copied over all the files in the phpBB\files folder to the new host via ftp. Files are transferred correctly. I can make a new post with attachment - and it showed up fine. I can use phpMyAdmin to review records the attachments - to make sure physical does exist - and compare the new attachment I uploaded with ones in question.
Last edited by peterlin on Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:06 pm

phpbb has always shown the real_filename and never showed the physical_filename, AFAIK. IOW, nothing has changed in that regard.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:28 am

peterlin wrote: I did a test attachment upload to a post with attachment not being able to display, and the file permission is 600. This allows me to make sure Owner/Group permission is the same of the one I just uploaded as attachment, and ones I copied over from old web host.
I do not understand what you are saying there....please elaborate.
peterlin wrote:So my issue does not appear to be a Owner/Group permission issue.
So far I have seen no evidence either way, did you look at the actual group/owner information rather than the numerical permission values? Who is listed as the owner of the files that were transferred via ftp and what is the groupid?

peterlin

Post by peterlin » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:09 am

I am using FileZilla (ftp client) to view file permissions, owner/group. In order to compare files that are working and not working, I made a new post to my forum restored on the new host. This attachment that displayed in the post, 2_59d41891ae83b53b3b82ffa1f4c450a4 has file permssion of 600, and 1940 1940 for owner/group.

The attachment that would not display in the topic has file permission of 644, with 1940 1940 for owner/group.

This is what I meant that owner/group are the same for attachments (both located in /phpBB/files folder, but one would show and one would not). The ones that would not show are attachments already in topics before the forum was moved to a new web host.

If there is a different way to compare owner/group of the attachments (files), please let me know. I used File Manager in CPanel on my web host but did not see actual user name displayed.

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:44 pm

The example you gave returns the following error:
The selected attachment does not exist anymore.

The file ./../files/thumb_874_c4f3a1162c91036de86e6f9beb8cff42 does not exist.
Can you please post a screen cap of the /files (via your ftp client) directory that shows that specific file does exist. Try to get the complete file attributes to show as well, thanks.

peterlin

Post by peterlin » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:43 pm

removed
Last edited by peterlin on Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:10 pm

This is the filename I am looking for, it appears you did not transfer any of the thumbnails from your old site? Note the filename and the thumb_ prefix:
The file ./../files/thumb_874_c4f3a1162c91036de86e6f9beb8cff42 does not exist.
From the quick look I took of the missing images in the forum you linked to before, I saw that all the posts that did not display the image were attachments that had previously been thumbnailed but I could find none of them on your new server, always getting the same error XXX does not exist. Do you have any files in your folder with the thumb_ prefix?

p.s. I also noticed you are missing most of your smilies. When in the posting editor only two smilies display and when you try to view the missing images you get:
The requested URL /~phalae5/bigleaf/phpBB/images/smilies/icon/biggrin.gif was not found on this server.

peterlin

Post by peterlin » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:43 pm

I look at the \files directory on the old site. There is no file that begins with thumb_
So I assume that the thumb nail is generated on the fly. I had installed Highslide Attachment Mod 4.0.10b on the old site before - maybe prior to 3.0.5 but after an update Highslide mod quit working. I am not sure if there should be a thumb_ file created in the files folder.

All the files are ftp from old site to new.

The new site is still under development before I transfer the domain name to new host.

I did not transfer any of the smilies to the new site yet. So missing smilies is expected. I had problem with additional smilies not showing up on the old server after update phpBB from 3.0.5 to 3.0.6 I read that there is some issue with smiles and 3.0.6 so I'm deferring on working that issue.
Last edited by peterlin on Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:30 pm

peterlin wrote:I look at the \files directory on the old site. There is no file that begins with thumb_
So I assume that the thumb nail is generated on the fly.
If you were using the phpBB image thumbnail code there should be but this comment leads me to suspect the problem is the MOD you were using to upload those attachments:
peterlin wrote:I had installed Highslide Attachment Mod 4.0.10b on the old site before
I am not at all familiar with that MOD but it may be worth asking the author about your problem. Did you get that MOD from this site?

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:16 am

FWIW, I have had this issue as well. Only way I could rectify it was to transfer the files via ssh from the old host to the new host.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:22 am

RMcGirr83 wrote:FWIW, I have had this issue as well.
You use that MOD? It is adding additional detail to the attachment that the vanilla phpBB code does not, is that MOD available here?

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”