Problems with PHPBB 3.05

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
sn3t

Problems with PHPBB 3.05

Post by sn3t »

Ok, I recently set up my forums at http://www.qkarmy.com/forums using the auto installer in my cpanel. Everything was fine edited my styles to make them reflect my main site, and starting getting traffic to my forums. I noticed when registering a secondary account that the captcha box would not show up so I had to disable it in the admin settings to allow my users to sign up for accounts. I need to get the captcha box working to keep spammers at bay, and also because while i was attempting to log into the ACP my password attempts were maxed out and it wont let me login now without entering a confirmation code.. which doesnt show up because the captchas arent working. How should I go about resolving this, and what other info do you need?
Last edited by ric323 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic icon changed
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Re: Problems with PHPBB 3.05

Post by AdamR »

The best option is also to update to phpBB 3.0.6. Besides style changes, do you have any MODs installed?

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

sn3t wrote:Ok, I recently set up my forums at http://www.qkarmy.com/forums using the auto installer in my cpanel.
That can be a problem, as those auto installers invariably miss one ore more steps done by the real installer in the package downloaded from here.

You are running version 3.0.5, which has now been replaced by 3.0.6.

Apart from the style changes had you made any other modifications (MODs) to your board?
If not, I would advise a clean resinatll to 3.0.6 to clean up your files, followed by replacing your style changes.
This will NOT affect your existing users and posts, which are stored in the database.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
sn3t

Post by sn3t »

I've installed 0 mods, and yea I was weary about the autoinstaller. Guess it pays to not be lazy :P alright I'll try downloading 3.06 and upgrading and seeing if that works.
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

Updating instructions: http://www.phpbb.com/community/docs/INSTALL.html#update
As always, be sure you have a backup of your files and database before updating.

Be sure you are also up to date with the latest version of your style as there are many style changes from 3.0.5 to 3.0.6 :)

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
sn3t

Post by sn3t »

AdamR wrote:Updating instructions: http://www.phpbb.com/community/docs/INSTALL.html#update
As always, be sure you have a backup of your files and database before updating.

Be sure you are also up to date with the latest version of your style as there are many style changes from 3.0.5 to 3.0.6 :)

- Adam

Thanks Everyone, works perfectly now... and I must mention it was quite frightening how fast my post was approved and responded to.
sn3t

Post by sn3t »

Apparently.. after this upgrade my admin account no longer has admin privileges or isnt able to access the admin panel, when I was at my university I thought it was just due to the fact they only run IE7 and I saw another person had compatibility issues with IE7. What might be causing this?

EDIT: Trying the change to the admin index.php as stated in the sticky post http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1898855

For anyone that might read this, if the sticky post didn't work for you(it didn't for me)
This did work for me, though it is kind of annoying that just typing the /adm won't work.
"I was able to access with all the following browsers:

- IE 7
- Firefox
- Opera
- Safari
- Google Crome

After I did the following:
1. DO NOT type yourdomain.com/adm - this kicks up the error. The board wants the oppurtunity to re-authenticate you.
2. Clear all the cookies, found at the bottom right of the page.
3. Go to yourdomain.com and login as the administrator.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Administrator Control Panel
5. You will be asked to re-authenticate. Type your username and password.
6. The Administrator Control Panel (APC) will appear.

Sometime knowing where the adm folder is not always a good thing! You must use the link because the site wants the oppurtunity to re-authenticate once you have logged in"

Source: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5&start=15
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

it is rare that anyone would attempt to login the way you were. most people use the admin link at the bottom of the page.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”