Image Size Recommendations

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Guybor

Image Size Recommendations

Post by Guybor »

What are the recommended size to put into these fields? I don't want inline images to stretch the forum wider? And not all my users want to use imageshack or photobucket.

Thanks in advance.
Guy
Attachments
ImageSize.jpg
ImageSize.jpg (147.63 KiB) Viewed 402 times
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Re: Image Size Recommendations

Post by Pony99CA »

Those settings are for attachments; there are also image size settings on the Post settings page.

Regardless, I prevent images larger than 400 pixels wide from displaying. I don't put any limit on the height (but if somebody abuses that, I would probably say 1024 or something).

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Guybor

Post by Guybor »

Pony99CA wrote:Those settings are for attachments; there are also image size settings on the Post settings page.

Regardless, I prevent images larger than 400 pixels wide from displaying. I don't put any limit on the height (but if somebody abuses that, I would probably say 1024 or something).

Steve
Steve,

Aren't the Post Settings the same as the attachment settings? They appear to be, but with different ways of getting there.

If I put a 400 pixel limit on it, and someone has one 600, will it scale it down to fit? Or is a mod needed to do this?

Thanks for your help.
Guy
Guybor

Post by Guybor »

As an added note.....

When I attach the same image to my subsilver forum the image is much larger. It doesn't look like it does in the first post above.

Guy
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

Guybor wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:Those settings are for attachments; there are also image size settings on the Post settings page.

Aren't the Post Settings the same as the attachment settings? They appear to be, but with different ways of getting there.
They don't appear to be the same. I have my image size currently set to 500 pixels wide, my thumbnail attachment size set to 400 pixels wide and the attachment image width set to 0.

Remember that the two pages control different things. The Post settings page controls the IMG BBCode tags; the Attachment settings page obviously controls image attachments.
Guybor wrote:If I put a 400 pixel limit on it, and someone has one 600, will it scale it down to fit? Or is a mod needed to do this?
I'm not sure, but you could easily test it. ;)

If I had to guess, exceeding the maximum limit in either the Post settings page or the Attachment settings page would prevent that image from being displayed or attached and give an error message.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”