3.07 General Error: the update files are incomplete

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
elkhorn

3.07 General Error: the update files are incomplete

Post by elkhorn »

I ran the automatic update and the database updated properly, but when it goes to check the files I get a

General Error:

The update files are incomplete.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by Pit$Bull on Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic icon changed
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: 3.07 Update Error

Post by stevemaury »

You are missing some files.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
elkhorn

Re: 3.07 Update Error

Post by elkhorn »

stevemaury wrote:You are missing some files.
Do you work for Microsoft?
elkhorn

Re: 3.07 General Error: the update files are incomplete

Post by elkhorn »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.7
What is your board's URL? http://www.elkhornyc.com/phpbb3/
Who do you host your board with? NetFronts
How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
Is your board a fresh install or a conversion? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.0.6
What styles do you currently have installed? All styles are 3.0.6 versions
What language(s) is your board currently using? default and english (us)
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP but not phpBB
When did your problem begin? As soon as I ran the automatic updater. Board was perfect before I started the update.
Please describe your problem. Board was perfect before update. Ran the automatic updater. Database update completed successfully. When the "check files" step begins, an error is returned:

GENERAL ERROR
The update files are incomplete.

The error does not specify what files are missing, or provide any other information than to contact the forum administrator (me).

The board seems to be running fine (after I remove the install directory), but the system tab reports that the update was not completed.
Generated by SRT Generator ($Rev: 3603 $)
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Post by Pit$Bull »

Since you have no MODs I suggest;

*NOTE: Before proceeding backup all files and the database.*
  • Upload all new files from a download of the full version, except for config.php, the /images and /files folders.
  • Go to yoursite.com/forumfolder/install/database_update.php
  • Let that run and then delete the install folder.
  • You now have a new up to date board containing all your users and posts but without any MODs that you might have had installed.
Live2Game

Post by Live2Game »

sorry to high jack the conversation but all you have to do after getting the general error is go to [*]Go to yoursite.com/forumfolder/install/database_update.php and run database_update.php and it should say your updated to 3.07

I had the same issue and it worked for me I hope this helps and not to knock you Pitbull its a simplified route to consider in the future...

please make note it will save alot of hassle
Pit$Bull wrote:Since you have no MODs I suggest;

• Upload all new files from a download of the full version, except for config.php, the /images and /files folders.
  • Go to yoursite.com/forumfolder/install/database_update.php
  • Let that run and then delete the install folder.
  • You now have a new up to date board containing all your users and posts but without any MODs that you might have had installed.
L2G The Eraser
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Post by Pit$Bull »

Live2Game wrote:Go to yoursite.com/forumfolder/install/database_update.php and run database_update.php and it should say your updated to 3.07
That isn't the issue, the OP is missing some files.
Live2Game

Post by Live2Game »

Thats cool ... yeah I was actually looking up the same issue when I had tried running the database_update.php file... lets hope all goes well or I will be reaching back out to ya :D
L2G The Eraser
m101

Post by m101 »

by Live2Game » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:00 pm

sorry to high jack the conversation but all you have to do after getting the general error is go to [*]Go to yoursite.com/forumfolder/install/database_update.php and run database_update.php and it should say your updated to 3.07

I had the same issue and it worked for me I hope this helps and not to knock you Pitbull its a simplified route to consider in the future...

I've had this same problem with the previous update package and the same solution above was suggested and it worked.

I also had this problem with the new update and also used the same solution. And guess what-- it worked.

My question is: why isn't this part of the basic installation instruction package because I've talked to others who had this same error and used the same solution. It just seems ridiculous that every time I install a new version, I get some kind of install error and yet the same solution is suggested. Can they please include this in the next update??

thanks!
elkhorn

Post by elkhorn »

Pit$Bull wrote:Since you have no MODs I suggest;

Thanks. I was hoping there would be as simple a solution as this.

Except, without your help I would have simply copied over all the files and lost my configuration. I not have known to hold back the config.php file or the /images and /files folders, so I would have needlessly hurt myself and my users.

Thanks for everything. You got right to the root of my issue and supplied me with the information I needed. All too rare a skill anymore, sad to say.
elkhorn

Post by elkhorn »

Live2Game wrote:I had the same issue and it worked for me I hope this helps and not to knock you Pitbull its a simplified route to consider in the future...

Thanks for the input, but as I mentioned in my original post (and Pit$Bull remarked), the database update portion of the upgrade went file, but the auto update choked on the file checking. There were some missing files. Thanks to Pit$Bull, I was able to copy a full file package over my existing install without losing my configuration. The trick was in knowing which files *not* to overwrite. I'd have been in a world of grief if I'd just blindly overwritten everything.
Live2Game

Post by Live2Game »

elkhorn wrote:
Live2Game wrote:I had the same issue and it worked for me I hope this helps and not to knock you Pitbull its a simplified route to consider in the future...

Thanks for the input, but as I mentioned in my original post (and Pit$Bull remarked), the database update portion of the upgrade went file, but the auto update choked on the file checking. There were some missing files. Thanks to Pit$Bull, I was able to copy a full file package over my existing install without losing my configuration. The trick was in knowing which files *not* to overwrite. I'd have been in a world of grief if I'd just blindly overwritten everything.

Yes I was not reporting any errors on the auto install everything was saying it had completed successfully

glad it worked out for you!
L2G The Eraser
camena

Post by camena »

hello,

i was wondering because i have the same error issue. Would you PITBULL advice me to do the same even though i DO have mods?

thanks!
xrae

Post by xrae »

I have the same question as camena. I have mods, and I am getting the error that the update files are incomplete.

I used the automated update package from 3.06 > 3.07.
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

camena wrote:hello,

i was wondering because i have the same error issue. Would you PITBULL advice me to do the same even though i DO have mods?

thanks!
If you follow those instructions, it will REMOVE your MODs.
i.e. you will end up with a clean install, although any MOD edits to a custom style would remain.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”