How to Upgrade from 3.0.0 to 3.0.7?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
cosmics1979

How to Upgrade from 3.0.0 to 3.0.7?

Post by cosmics1979 »

Hello,

we have a old PHPBB board here in our company which was setup from someone else years ago and upgraded some time ago from someone else from PHPBB 2.X to 3.0.0. It runs properly with the standard sylver template, standard settings and 2 mods:

- a Captcha mod to prevent spam
- a mod called newpost2mail to inform us via e-mail about every post in the forum

We run a Linux server at a large german provider.

Now I need to upgrade it from 3.0.0 to 3.0.7 to install the latest patches and secure the board but upgrade packages are only available for 3.0.2 and newer. I need to make sure that the mods are still working after the upgrade.

1. Do I really need to install the whole board software again?
2. Does the database backup (MySQL(i) 5.0.45) work properly with 3.0.7?
3. I created a backup directory on our server and copied the files of the forum into the new folder to test it but it still uses the same SQL-databases. Can I just copy the database SQL-files to another directory and edit a file in the forum to use the copy of the database for testing?

Does anyone know how to proceed to upgrade the software on our sever and to make sure everything is runing properly after upgrading?

Thank you in advance for your help,
Sven
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: How to Upgrade from 3.0.0 to 3.0.7?

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

best thing to do is just upload all new files except for the config.php file
then run install/database_update.php then delete the install folder
and then reinstall the newpost2mail MOD

the new version of phpbb has multiple CAPTCHAs that will stop the spam so you don't need that MOD.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
cosmics1979

Post by cosmics1979 »

Thank you for your fast answer, Robert.

Does it mean that I need to download and reinstall the complete forum software and just keep the config.php file? Do I need to change something in the config.php file to work with 3.0.7?

Thanks again,
Sven
Peetra

Post by Peetra »

cosmics1979 wrote:Does it mean that I need to download and reinstall the complete forum software
Kind of, but you do not install, you upgrade.
cosmics1979 wrote:Do I need to change something in the config.php file to work with 3.0.7?
No, changing stuff in that will corrupt your forum.
I am so hooked on bubbles, that I made a Bubble Witch Saga WP-site! Most addictive game since Tetris!
cosmics1979

Post by cosmics1979 »

Thank you Peetra! I will try it with the installation of the full version and choose to upgrade the existing files that way (I hope there is such an option during the installation).

Best regards,
Sven
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

cosmics1979 wrote:...
I will try it with the installation of the full version and choose to upgrade the existing files that way (I hope there is such an option during the installation).
Please read the post by Lumpy again. You do NOT run the installer!
You just over-write your existing files with the new ones, EXCEPT for your config.php file.
The only script you run is database_update.php, which adds the extra tables and fields to your database required by the later releases.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
cosmics1979

Post by cosmics1979 »

Thank's for the explanation, Rick! That makes it more clear now.
aaalba

Post by aaalba »

ric323 wrote:
cosmics1979 wrote:...
I will try it with the installation of the full version and choose to upgrade the existing files that way (I hope there is such an option during the installation).
Please read the post by Lumpy again. You do NOT run the installer!
You just over-write your existing files with the new ones, EXCEPT for your config.php file.
The only script you run is database_update.php, which adds the extra tables and fields to your database required by the later releases.
so what patch should i downlaod?
Should i downlaod complete new 3.07 version install package and leave the original config.php

Or downlaod the updater, to update it automatically?
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Post by Pit$Bull »

aaalba wrote: Should i downlaod complete new 3.07 version install package and leave the original config.php
Yes the full package http://www.phpbb.com/downloads/olympus.php?from=submenu

*NOTE: Before proceeding backup all files and the database.*
  • Upload all new files from a download of the full version, except for config.php
  • Go to yoursite.com/forumfolder/install/database_update.php
  • Let that run and then delete the install folder.
  • You now have a new up to date board containing all your users and posts but without any MODs that you might have had installed.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”