Should Auto Update Have Warned Me I Goof'd Up?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Locked
dncollins
Registered User
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:06 am

Should Auto Update Have Warned Me I Goof'd Up?

Post by dncollins » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:40 am

My intent was to update my board from 3.0.6 to 3.0.7-PL1. In my 1st attempt to do this, I did a couple of (really) dumb (ass) things ... but in this case I'm thinking maybe the auto updater should have warned me, so this is a heads up to the phpBB brain trust just to document what happened.

To begin with, I inadvertently downloaded the wrong (3.0.7 to 3.0.7-PL1) auto updater. I unzipped then FTP'd it to my site and surfed to the install folder as directed.

To make matters worse, prior to doing any of this, I had temporarily disabled my board thinking this was necessary (or at least prudent) while doing the update.

So .... when I surfed to my install folder and clicked the Update tab presented by the opening dialog window, I was immediately transferred to the login page of my board and told that it was temporarily disabled.

Easily remedied !!! ... I logged in ... then logged in to the ACP ... reenabled my board .... logged all the way out and surfed back to the install folder/update tab again and voila, it took me through the install steps.

Everything seemed to proceed OK ... the database was updated ... file update went quickly ... a little too quickly it seemed, and I didn't get the expected report about files that were changed. The update wizard told me I was successful, so I deleted the install folder and logged in.

Sure enough, when I logged in and enabled the ACP it said I was running 3.0.7-PL1 and everything appeared ops normal.

Still ... with no files reported as having changed by the update wizard, I was a little suspicious, so I ran a 'synchronize' app to compare my updated forum files to the backup of my 3.0.6 files. The synch does a preview before actually synching ... so I didn't really overwrite my backup files. Not that it would have mattered ... there weren't any differences .... .... ..... .... uh oh! No differences between version 3.0.6 and 3.0.7-PL1 ????? .... something must have gone wrong !!!

That's what caused me to look at my desktop and realize I had used the wrong auto update package. (Doh!)

Fortunately, it wasn't too hard to recover: No need to restore my 3.0.6 files ... they hadn't been changed ... However, I did have to restore my database (which I had prudently backed up prior to starting this fiasco ... luckily, the 3.0.7 DB was quasi compatible with the 3.0.6 code, allowing me the convenience of using the ACP in spite of the version skew between DB and board files).

With the board restored to its former 3.0.6 glory I was able to use the proper auto updater and everything went without a hitch ... and yes, I got lot's of nice feedback this time about board files that had changed.

So ... "no harm, no foul" (2 points if you can tell me who said that first ... the '2' points is a clue)

And finally ... to get to the reason I posted this in the first place.

I'm thinking the updater should warn and refuse the update when

1) someone tries to run the updater with their board disabled (or it should enable the board automatically so that the updater can proceed)
2) someone tries to use an inappropriate update package

Certainly implementing 2) above would prevent the situation where the updater happily tells you you're running 3.0.7-PL1 when you're actually still running 3.0.6 (albeit with a newly configured DB).

Clearly you guys have a lot on your plate, so I leave it to you to decide whether these are worthwhile features for the auto updater.

Locked

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”