Putting Video in a topic...

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
cjecenter

Putting Video in a topic...

Post by cjecenter »

Hello,
First of all, I'm brand spanking new to creating forums...so I don't even know if my question is in the right place, as I don't know what MOD's are, etc...

ANYWAY, I'm wondering how to put a video into a post.

I have set up a member protected forum with aMember, and I want to create topics that are step by step videos- so the first topic would be called "Video 1", then I would create a Post with a video in it right there to watch, then people could make comments by adding posts to the topic. Make sense?

I want the videos to be protected and only seen on the forum that people join. I was thinking I could just put a link to my videos, but then I would have to put the videos in a password protected area, then give out a password, and that's not very secure, right?

Is this just a code I put in with my MP4 video in it? Or...?
Thanks for any help or direction to point me in, and I would appreciate explanations at the 4th grade level if you can manage! :D
sunsop

Re: Putting Video in a topic...

Post by sunsop »

You do it with custom BB Codes, as described HERE

Lots of interesting stuff in the Knowledgebase if one takes a look at it.
cjecenter

Post by cjecenter »

"Lots of interesting stuff in the Knowledgebase if one takes a look at it."...Thanks Sunsop.

I see how to put in YouTube and Google vids, how about vids from my computer? I don't want to upload the videos to YouTube so all can see. They need to be secure.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Allow attachments that are avi, mov, etc.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
sunsop

Post by sunsop »

cjecenter wrote:"Lots of interesting stuff in the Knowledgebase if one takes a look at it."...Thanks Sunsop.

I see how to put in YouTube and Google vids, how about vids from my computer? I don't want to upload the videos to YouTube so all can see. They need to be secure.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Ahhh ... but you didn't ASK that question, did you? You don't have to upload videos to YouTube, but you DO have to upload them someplace because you can't use videos that are on your personal computer - unless you are self hosting on your own server, I guess. Certainly not with a regular hosting service.

It's possible to use a generic code to enable you to play videos you host on your own webhost if you like - I do it on occasion on my blog and my forum - but again, the files must be uploaded to a site providing a URL. Like this:

Code: Select all

<embed src="URL/filename.wmv" width="" height="" autostart="1" showcontrols="1" type="application/x-mplayer2" pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/"> </embed>
and use the BBCode to embed files.
J_M

Post by J_M »

Hi Sunsop

I have a similar question, my webhost has dropped Darwin support so a quicktime video no longer plays.

I'd prefer not to use a .wmv file, I could convert this file to flash, can I use similar code like what you posted? Does my website/server need to have any streaming software? thanks and sorry about the basic questions.

>and use the BBCode to embed files.

If you could explain or detail this a little too, I'd really appreciate, if I'm asking too much I understand, no problem.

regards

j
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

several options.
1. use bbcode to create a button like the rest of the bbcodes but this one allows you to type in the link to the movie and/or movie player software etc. ( read the bbcode sticky at the top of this forum. )

2. simply attach your movies to a post. use file types that most people would be likely to have the software to play them. wmv, etc.
read the documentation on how to use the attachment system.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
J_M

Post by J_M »

thanks Lumpy, (32,000 posts is a lot of posts!)

I have a temporary solution of simply linking to an html page with a flash movie, not very elegant but I'll try the other solutions when more time is available.

regards

j

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”