Strange registration behavior (Newly Registered Users)

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Shadow of Nobody

Strange registration behavior (Newly Registered Users)

Post by Shadow of Nobody »

[23:42] <RandomCharacters> Anyway, I've noticed something awry and I'm not sure if this was a mistake on my part or... what.
[23:43] <RandomCharacters> But I've set my account activiation to 'By user' and enabled the Newly Registered Users group as default, with the post limit at 1
[23:43] <RandomCharacters> What I assumed would happen is they'd verify, be in the group, then require the 1 post to get into normal registered users
[23:43] <RandomCharacters> Instead, it seems they're part of both the normal registered users and newly registered users
[23:43] <RandomCharacters> Any ideas?
User Registration Settings
Account Activation: By User
New Member Post Limit: 1
Set Newly Registered Users group to default: Yes

What I thought would happen is that when a person registers and verifies their account, they'd be in 'Newly registered users' and then need to post once before they switch to the full, normal 'Registered users'. However, upon registration, it appears they are in both - superceding the point of using the newly registered users group in the first place. What am I doing wrong?
imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Re: Strange registration behavior (Newly Registered Users)

Post by imkingdavid »

That is the appropriate behavior.

In order to get this, you need to understand how permissions work. There are three settings in the permissions area: Yes, No, and Never.

If a user has a Yes permission in a group, that will override any other No setting on the same permission in a different group. If the permission for all groups that a user is a member of is No, it will be access denied. If ANY group that the member is a part of has a permission set to Never, that will override any Yes in any other group, including the user's default group.

All registered users are in the Registered Users group. That is a way that phpBB tells between users and bots and guests. When a user registers and is below the threshold for being removed from the Newly Registered Users group, they are in the Newly Registered Users group, which has the "Can post without approval" permission set to Never, even though the user's default group (Registered Users) is set to Yes.

Does that make sense? :)
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Shadow of Nobody

Post by Shadow of Nobody »

Well... yes. So for all the 'Registered users' it should be Standard/Limited Access, and for 'Newly registered users' it should be 'Newly registered access' since the 'Never' for posting supercedes 'yes' for the normal registered users?

Edit: Seems people can post topics, though... hmm.
Last edited by Shadow of Nobody on Tue May 18, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Yes.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”