Can Admin read users pm?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
sb_stefan

Can Admin read users pm?

Post by sb_stefan » Wed May 19, 2010 1:12 am

If so, how?

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Re: Can Admin read users pm?

Post by tbackoff » Wed May 19, 2010 1:14 am

Without even bringing upt the moral aspect of this subjet, any Administrator with DB access can theorectically read user's PMs. If you are looking for an ACP module to read PMs, this would require a MOD, and I am not aware of any available at this time.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Post by imkingdavid » Wed May 19, 2010 1:38 am

t_backoff wrote:Without even bringing upt the moral aspect of this subjet, any Administrator with DB access can theorectically read user's PMs. If you are looking for an ACP module to read PMs, this would require a MOD, and I am not aware of any available at this time.
As t_backoff mentioned, anyone with database access can theoretically look at the private messages table and filter by user to read conversations.

There is currently a MOD that gives this functionality that is called Private Message Moderation.

However, before using this, I suggest that you inform your users that you have the ability to view their private messages (so their messages are not completely private). Otherwise a lot of issues could pop up. I also suggest only using it in the case of a serious issue arising, not just so that you can browse anyone's private message. After all, they are meant to be private (as private as something put on the internet can be, anyway).
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

HighLighter

Post by HighLighter » Wed May 19, 2010 1:40 am

If my board is hosted for free, can I still do this? I'm not sure how I would go about doing this because I don't have any phpbb software installed...
Sorry, I'm still a beginner in all this.

imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Post by imkingdavid » Wed May 19, 2010 1:44 am

If your board is hosted by a free forum host that sets up your forum for you, chances are that you do not have access to the board files. Therefore, you will be unable to install the MOD yourself. The only thing you can do in that case is to request for that MOD to be installed by the host themselves.

HighLighter

Post by HighLighter » Wed May 19, 2010 1:48 am

So is this MOD only available to people who are paying for their services? I'm still a little confused in this area. My board is hosted by "freepowerboards", the highest thing I have access to is the ACP, which doesn't include the board files, correct? I don't understand where all this installing is coming from...All I have to do is log in to my board and go from there.

imkingdavid
Former Team Member

Post by imkingdavid » Wed May 19, 2010 1:55 am

In phpBB, MODs are installed by modifying the files and the database. I have registered at the freepowerboards.com site and the ACP is modified from the original phpBB ACP. On top of that, no access is given to the files. From what I can tell, all forums share the same files, just using a different database. As such, if a MOD is installed, it is installed on ALL forums. Therefore, you cannot install MODs yourself, and the host will likely be unwilling to install the MOD. However, you can ask them if you would like.

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Wed May 19, 2010 8:19 am

sb_stefan wrote:If so, how?
There's my spoof_user script that allows you to log on as any user. That can be used to view their PMs without being a SQL expert.

Steve

P.S. See how silly the quoted part of the post looks because you didn't put the question in the body of the text? I don't recommend including the main question only in the Subject of the post for exactly that reason.
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

ac_roma

Post by ac_roma » Wed May 19, 2010 8:25 am

i think there is mod in in development mods to this

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Wed May 19, 2010 9:13 pm

ac_roma wrote:i think there is mod in in development mods to this
The third post in this thread pointed to one that was validated.

My spoof_user script is different, though. It's not a MOD at all; it's a separate script that you upload to your forum and run. That has the advantage of not chanigng the phpBB code base or database schema at all (although, if certain phpBB functions change, that could still break the script).

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”