Q&A captcha - question not showing up

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide

Q&A captcha - question not showing up

Postby IanL » Thu May 27, 2010 7:27 pm

I selected the Q&A captcha, set up a question with an answer, and submit. When i go to the user registration page it just displays the normal image captcha text:
Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive, there is no zero.

but no image, and my question is no where to be seen.

Also, i'm not sure if this is related or not, but i thought maybe it was my style that was causing the problem (comicbook) so i switched the default style back to prosilver. But my registration page is still coming up with the comicbook style.

Is there something else i have to do to get the default style back?

thanks

edit: I think it is the style that's causing the Q&A question not to show - i just disabled my other style which did force the board back into prosilver - and now i see the question. I dont suppose anyone could tell me what i would need to do with the comic book style to get it to work?
Last edited by Pit$Bull on Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic icon changed
IanL

Re: Q&A captcha - question not showing up

Postby Pit$Bull » Thu May 27, 2010 8:16 pm

Update your style version to match the board version.
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member

Name: Can't Remember

Postby Christian 2.0 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:16 pm

Assuming Cosmic Book is still at the 3.0.1 stage, you will need to blast through the following update instructions:

3.0.1 -> 3.0.2 Instructions
3.0.2 -> 3.0.3 Instructions
3.0.3 -> 3.0.4 Instructions
3.0.4 -> 3.0.5 Instructions
3.0.5 -> 3.0.6 Instructions
3.0.6 -> 3.0.7 Instructions

Note: There are no style changes in 3.0.7-PL1.

The new Captchas were introduced in 3.0.6 , although I'm not sure with a style so old if you'll be able to skip straight ahead to those instructions. It's recommended you go though the lot of them anyway, as there are important style edits to the polls etc, and feature additions such as Quick Reply, reporting Private Messages and feeds.

Should you decide to go through each update, you'll want to make a night of it - as there are some pretty long updates there. ;)
No longer active at phpBB.com
Christian 2.0
Former Team Member

Name: Christian Bullock

Postby IanL » Thu May 27, 2010 9:21 pm

sigh - i think i might just default the board back to prosilver then. This is a small board with not much activity. I dont really have enough enthusiasm to go through all that i think.
IanL

Postby szakall » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:01 pm

I recently came across this problem twice. As i did not found any solution just to drop the style and choose an other, i started to mess with the style admin page and i found a way to fix it:

1. Create a new template directory (copy the one your using with a new dir name)
  2. Copy captcha* from the template directory of a working style into the new template dir
  3. Replace ucp_register.html from the template directory of a working style (or just add the missing part where the captcha question is included)
  4. In the style admin page, activate the new template
  5. Set your style to use that instead of the old one
szakall

Postby IanL » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:11 pm

thanks szakall - i'll try that later today
IanL

Postby Pit$Bull » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:29 am

Please disregard user szakall's advice as it will still leave you with issues in other areas.
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member

Postby IanL » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:41 am

i know it wont fix everything - but it sounds like his suggestion will at least enable the Q&A catpcha to work - or in other words, it wont make anything worse then by using the current version of the style, will it?
IanL

Postby Pit$Bull » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:08 am

IanL wrote:i know it wont fix everything - but it sounds like his suggestion will at least enable the Q&A catpcha to work - or in other words, it wont make anything worse then by using the current version of the style, will it?
Could make many things 'worse' and cause your board to be 'down' completely
But do what you think is best.
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member

Postby szakall » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:55 pm

Yes, its not solving the problem, its just a workaround (for the Q&A only, true). But in my case (the theme i want to use is outdated), i had to solve it this way. Obviously if someone is not experienced with html/css/phpbb, than he shouldn't try to mess with the style pages.
szakall

Return to 3.0.x Support Forum