User registration and first posts?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
David Sims

User registration and first posts?

Post by David Sims » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:26 pm

Is it possible to set a question that is related to my board topic so that when new users register for my board they answer the question rather than enter a random confirmation code? For example, if my board was 2010 World Cup related, the question could be...

'Where is the 2010 World Cup being held?'

Is there any disadvantages or issues with this form of confirming a new user registration?

New users also appear to need their posts approving by admin prior to them becoming visible to other users. Where can this be amended as I do not have the need to approve each post individually.

Many thanks.
David
My board > http://www.mgs2000.co.uk < many thanks for all of your help & assistance!

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: User registration and first posts?

Post by KevC » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:32 pm

David Sims wrote:Is it possible to set a question that is related to my board topic so that when new users register for my board they answer the question rather than enter a random confirmation code?
Yep. Look in the captcha module settings at the Q&A options.
It works very well as an antispam measure
David Sims wrote: New users also appear to need their posts approving by admin prior to them becoming visible to other users. Where can this be amended as I do not have the need to approve each post individually.
user registration settings
The new member post limit determines how many posts need to be approved before they can post freely.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

David Sims

Post by David Sims » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:19 pm

Thanks Kevin. ;)

I have sorted the second issue by amending the new member post limit to '0', but will keep an eye on it and adjust it if this causes any further issues.

The first issue is partly sorted. I have changed the CAPTCHA module settings to Q&A CAPTCHA on the drop down menu button, configured a question and an answer, and then submitted the change.

When I come to try out the user registration process I get the following message pretty much as it was before, but there is no CAPTCHA confirmation code shown? Any thoughts what I've missed?...

'CONFIRMATION OF REGISTRATION
To prevent automated registrations the board requires you to enter a confirmation code. The code is displayed in the image you should see below. If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise read this code please contact the %sBoard Administrator%s.

Confirmation code:

Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive, there is no zero.'
David
My board > http://www.mgs2000.co.uk < many thanks for all of your help & assistance!

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:20 pm

The Q&A should replace the visual confirmation.
Is your style up to date?
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

David Sims

Post by David Sims » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:28 pm

Well it states prosilver* in the ACP Styles section - is that the problem?

EDIT - Just noticed the * means the default style. I thought it meant that it hadn't been saved. :oops:
David

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:32 pm

Usually if the VC doesn't show up it's due to the style files not being the same version as the board files.

Have you updated recently? What version is the board? I see you have a different colour for your prosilver.
Cheap UK Hosting

David Sims

Post by David Sims » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:36 pm

3.0.6 is the version that I am currently using Kevin.

I am however intrigued as to how you know that my board has a different colour - I don't recall stating what my board was, or have you looked into my previous posts a year or two back and seen that I have been changing my colours? :roll:
David

David Sims

Post by David Sims » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:38 pm

Within the CAPTCHA module settings in the ACP there is currently nothing displayed in the box next to the...

'Preview
Question:
This question is a means of identifying and preventing automated submissions.'

Should there be?
David

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:41 pm

I found your address in an old post :)

That's correct for 3.0.6.
It was altered slightly in 3.0.7 to actually show the question.

Hmm not sure why it's not showing ....
Cheap UK Hosting

David Sims

Post by David Sims » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:43 pm

Understand now Kevin - I thought you had some kind of uber powerful skills and were able to learn board urls from user's posts! :o

I'll keep having a play within the ACP and see if it changes anything.
David

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”