Setting up a new board/changing URLs

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Angel-girl

Setting up a new board/changing URLs

Post by Angel-girl »

Ok, so here's my question: We've been running a board for four years now at the same URL. It's getting kind of insanely large (almost 200,000 posts), and so we've decided on just a fresh new install instead of updating to the current release. We've got the old board set up (at url.com/phpbb3) and the new one is in the middle of being set up (at url.com/phpbb307). So here's where my question comes in: If I want to move board #2 to url.com/phpbb3, do I simply rename board #1 (to something like phpbb304), then rename #2 (to phpbb3) in the File manager? This seems to make sense to me, but I'm not sure. Please help :)
Thanks,
Angel
Follow me to Alphabet City

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Setting up a new board/changing URLs

Post by Mick »

Angel-girl wrote:...and so we've decided on just a fresh new install instead of updating to the current release.
I don't understand this comment can you clarify please?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Please read: “Am I In The Right Place?” before posting.

Angel-girl

Post by Angel-girl »

Instead of updating the existing board to 3.07, we instead decided to start with a completely fresh install. So now we have a brand new board with no posts which is named phpBB307. Once it's done and ready, I want to change the existing board to something else (for archive purposes), and rename phpbb307 to phpbb3 (so that all our advertising still points to the right board). Does that make sense?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Not really. Why not just do this?
  • Upload all new files from a download of the full version 3.0.7-PL1, except for config.php, the /images and /files folders.
  • Go to yoursite.com/forumfolder/install/database_update.php
  • Let that run and then delete the install folder.
  • You now have a new up to date board containing all your users and posts but without any MODs that you might have had installed.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Angel-girl

Post by Angel-girl »

Because with 200,000 posts, I usually end up with the update timing out long before everything's updated :) And I've paid people to update before, but I just don't have the cash right now. Also, the existing board was about three updates behind.

Let me try to explain more clearly.

We have board #1 (now at phpBB3) which is about 4 years old and has 200,000 posts. We need to update from 3.0.4, but instead decided to install a new board.

Board #2 (which is now at phpBB307) is the brand new install. It's getting set up as we type. When it's finished, I'd like the URL to point to phpBB3, but I don't want board #1 to go away.

Will it work to simply go into file manager and change folder phpbb307 to simply phpbb3 so that mydomainname/phpBB3 (which now points to my board) will then point to #2?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

Let me explain more clearly. This is not an update. There is nothing to time out. No file changes are involved. That is why I suggest it. You would be doing EXACTLY the same thing you would do when you make a new installation - uploading the files.

Actually, since you already have a fresh installation, all you need to do is to copy your files, store and images/avatars/upload folders AND config.php to the new installation. Then run install/database_update.php and delete the install folder. Then just rename the old folder and rename the new folder to the name of the old folder.

The database updater should not take more than a minute, depending on your current version.

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Angel-girl

Post by Angel-girl »

I'm sorry, now I'm confused. Might be heatstroke, 'cause it's insanely hot outside. Isn't that what we're doing, is updating the old files to the new database? Every time I've tried to update, it's all timed out on me. I'm really ok with a whole new fresh board, I just want it to be updated and at the same URL (urlname.com/phpBB3). So you're saying that I can just rename the folders and it will run in the same URL?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

You have been using the automatic updater, which looks at the old files and the new files and attempts to reconcile differences between them with your input. Depending on the host, the difference in the version, etc., that can sometimes time out.

I am not talking about doing that.

You apparently already have a new 3.0.7-PL1 installation, so there are no file differences involved. All you have to do is to upload the file, store and images/avatars/upload folders AND the config.php file from your old board to the new one. Then upload the install folder for 3.0.7-PL1 (if not already present) and browse to the install/database_update.php folder. Rename the old folder. Rename the new folder same as the old folder. Done.

Not sure how I can be any more clear. Trust me on this.

Angel-girl

Post by Angel-girl »

Thanks for the input, really. But my question still remains: If I wanted to put the new board in the old board's place, is that what I would do? Rename the old one to something else and then rename the new one to phpBB3? Is it that simple?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Angel-girl wrote:Is it that simple?
Yes
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Angel-girl

Post by Angel-girl »

Thank you :)

dowelld

Post by dowelld »

Aha! No it's not that simple...

I get the impression that the 307 you've installed is using a different database, or a different set of database tables. ie it doesn't contain any of the existing members/posts ?

If this is the case then dropping your 307 files into a different folder (than the one it was installed in) will require you to update some of the database config table entries as well.

If you drop your files into a different folder without updating the database that the board is using, it won't work.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

dowelld wrote:Aha! No it's not that simple...

I get the impression that the 307 you've installed is using a different database, or a different set of database tables. ie it doesn't contain any of the existing members/posts ?
stevemaury wrote:All you have to do is to upload the file, store and images/avatars/upload folders AND the config.php file from your old board to the new one.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

Yes, please ignore dowelld's post. He is incorrect. Just do what I said.

dowelld

Post by dowelld »

I'd like an apology for that please.

Try reading what the OP has said instead of giving her your solution to what she wants.
Angel-girl wrote:Instead of updating the existing board to 3.07, we instead decided to start with a completely fresh install. So now we have a brand new board with no posts which is named phpBB307. Once it's done and ready, I want to change the existing board to something else (for archive purposes), and rename phpbb307 to phpbb3 (so that all our advertising still points to the right board). Does that make sense?
Angel-girl wrote:I'm sorry, now I'm confused. Might be heatstroke, 'cause it's insanely hot outside. Isn't that what we're doing, is updating the old files to the new database? Every time I've tried to update, it's all timed out on me. I'm really ok with a whole new fresh board, I just want it to be updated and at the same URL (urlname.com/phpBB3). So you're saying that I can just rename the folders and it will run in the same URL?
She already has a new board, with a new blank database that she is happy with. Moving her files without updating her new blank database will break her new board.... that's the new board she has decided she wants to have, not the old one you all seem intent upon insisting she uses.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”