Setting up a new board/changing URLs

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Setting up a new board/changing URLs

Post by stevemaury »

No apology forthcoming. The OP would prefer to have an updated board with all her posts and members, but feared the update because of issues in the past, and because she was three versions behind and could not afford to pay someone to update.
stevemaury wrote:Why not just do this?
  • Upload all new files from a download of the full version 3.0.7-PL1 -snip -
OP wrote:Because with 200,000 posts, I usually end up with the update timing out long before everything's updated :) And I've paid people to update before, but I just don't have the cash right now. Also, the existing board was about three updates behind.
Obviously, anyone with a choice would not want an existing board split in two with two different domains and one part of it static.

So I told her exactly how to do what she really wanted to do to get where she really wanted to be, but didn't think she could. What you told her would not have produced that result.

I have been doing this long enough to know that sometimes you need to find out the end result a user wishes to achieve rather than blindly telling them how to do what they THINK will achieve that result.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
dowelld

Post by dowelld »

Yes I've noticed how the support team knows best around here, and will direct people asking questions to the solution that the support team has decided is what the user should have, it's why I stopped bothering to come here and answer questions.

BTW, considering you've been doing this so long... you should know better than to post your own assumptions about what the user wants, as support for what you've directed her to do. "Obviously" indeed !

Her response to your direction to retain her old board/posts was:
Angel-girl wrote:Thanks for the input, really. But my question still remains: If I wanted to put the new board in the old board's place, is that what I would do? Rename the old one to something else and then rename the new one to phpBB3? Is it that simple?
And you directed her to break her new board.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

I do not want to belabor this, but nothing I told her to do would have broken either board. It is just a matter of switching config.php files.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
dowelld

Post by dowelld »

No it's not, because she'll go off and rename her board directories and not switch the config.php files. She doesn't know that both boards will then not work because the script_path is set wrong in the config table for both boards. If we're lucky she'll just rename the directories back to their original names and then come back.

Anyway, this has been laboured over enough.
Goodnight.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”