Can I stop new users from creating topics?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
ForumZombie

Can I stop new users from creating topics?

Post by ForumZombie »

Sorry if this has been discussed - I ran some searches and found nothing specific.

Is there a setting where I can force "newly registered users" to post at least 3 or 5 times prior to having the ability to create a new topic? Thank you.

Board version: 3.0.7-PL1
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Re: Can I stop new users from creating topics?

Post by tbackoff »

Set "can post new topics" to NEVER.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
ForumZombie

Post by ForumZombie »

t_backoff wrote:Set "can post new topics" to NEVER.
Can you direct me to that? I figured it would be something that easy but I can't find the section to make that selection.

Edit: I think I found it and all "New Registered Users" are set to not create topic, so I must have all new sign ins starting at Registered User status.

So another question I have is what is the difference between a "New Registered User" and a "Registered User"?
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff »

ForumZombie wrote:Edit: I think I found it and all "New Registered Users" are set to not create topic, so I must have all new sign ins starting at Registered User status.
That means you have disabled the Newly Registered Users group. Go to "user registration settings" and set the "new member post limit" to your desired setting. This will also require their posts to be moderated, but you can turn this off.
ForumZombie wrote:So another question I have is what is the difference between a "New Registered User" and a "Registered User"?
See above. ;)
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

If you merely have the permission set to No for the newly registered users, they will still get permission to start a topic from the Registered users permissions. In Forum roles, change Can post topic from No to Never for the Newly Registered users role. And make sure you have a value for New member post limit in user registration settings.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”