no CAPTCHA after update

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
The FlyerFly

Re: no CAPTCHA after update

Post by The FlyerFly »

Pit$Bull wrote:Seems to me you have a file edit gone wrong. I noticed you have another unresolved issue posted http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2092428 that also may be from the same cause.
You may want to check all your edits. as I'm sure you don't want to replace all your files and lose the MOD's you have installed.
i will go through the edits, but i highly doubt this is from the same cause. the other issue started a while ago...well before my update. and the CAPTCHA issue started immediately following the update.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Yes, but that overlooks the fact that the CAPTCHA has changed whereas the Profiles have not.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Post by Pit$Bull »

You other issue could still be related, whatever was causing the other issue could have carried over and caused many more problems that are just now showing up. Try a solution for the original issue then see if it also solves the CAPTCHA issue.
The FlyerFly

Post by The FlyerFly »

I checked all my MOD edits, and nothing has changed regarding either this, or my other open thread.
CarolC1

Post by CarolC1 »

We had the missing captcha problem going to 3.0.6. It was fixed, but I was never 100% sure what fixed it. I posted the support question in this topic:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1869355 (page 3)

Here is someone who fixed theirs by refreshing the style:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1999555 (last post)

Here is someone who fixed theirs by purging the cache:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1903915 (last post)

On our board, we had both avatars and captcha missing. I read that it was probably caused by an extra space or line before or after the beginning/ending tags of a php file. So I spent hours opening files in my file editor and looking for extra lines or spaces, finding nothing.

We had a test board and the main board, both were upgraded, both had the missing captcha. Finally on the test board I found an extra line at the end of the config file (one of the last places I looked because I knew I hadn't touched it) and that fixed the captcha on the test board. But I corrected the same thing on the main board and it did not fix it, so I kept looking. I found another file (moderator_needed.php) that had an extra line at the end, and after I fixed that the captcha appeared on the main board.

It makes no sense because moderator_needed.php had been on the server like that for 9 months and hadn't caused any problem. I am not sure fixing those 2 files is what made the captchas appear on the 2 boards, however they were fixed after I did it.

I wasted a bunch of time trying to find spaces using inadequate technique and had to look through a bunch of files again.
in an email I wrote: I thought I had checked the php files. I knew it wasn't good enough to just click View in my ftp program, so I was actually downloading them to the desktop and viewing them in my proper edit program there. Well, that still isn't enough. That will let you find any spaces before the first php tag, but it doesn't help at all to find a space after the closing tag. To do that you have to

1) open the file in a proper file editor (with line numbers)
2) scroll to the end of the file
3) use the mouse to locate the cursor on the last line of the file...but click it over in the right margin of the line. The cursor will automatically jump over to the left and focus itself on the last character...which may be a space.
This can take hours and hours, you might want to wait till you've exhausted other options.
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member

Post by Pit$Bull »

I just noticed from one of your screen shots, I hope you aren't using Dreamweaver for anything concerning phpBB files. Editing or uploading.
The FlyerFly

Post by The FlyerFly »

Pit$Bull wrote:I just noticed from one of your screen shots, I hope you aren't using Dreamweaver for anything concerning phpBB files. Editing or uploading.
DW is all I've ever used over the lifetime of the forum. Why is that an issue?
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff »

Dreamweaver doesn't play nicely. If you are going to edit files from phpBB (especially the PHP files!), you must use a plain text editor such as Notpad++. For uploading files to your forum's server, use an FTP client like FileZilla.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
The FlyerFly

Post by The FlyerFly »

CarolC1 wrote:We had the missing captcha problem going to 3.0.6. It was fixed, but I was never 100% sure what fixed it. I posted the support question in this topic:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1869355 (page 3)

Here is someone who fixed theirs by refreshing the style:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1999555 (last post)

Here is someone who fixed theirs by purging the cache:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1903915 (last post)

On our board, we had both avatars and captcha missing. I read that it was probably caused by an extra space or line before or after the beginning/ending tags of a php file. So I spent hours opening files in my file editor and looking for extra lines or spaces, finding nothing.

We had a test board and the main board, both were upgraded, both had the missing captcha. Finally on the test board I found an extra line at the end of the config file (one of the last places I looked because I knew I hadn't touched it) and that fixed the captcha on the test board. But I corrected the same thing on the main board and it did not fix it, so I kept looking. I found another file (moderator_needed.php) that had an extra line at the end, and after I fixed that the captcha appeared on the main board.

It makes no sense because moderator_needed.php had been on the server like that for 9 months and hadn't caused any problem. I am not sure fixing those 2 files is what made the captchas appear on the 2 boards, however they were fixed after I did it.

I wasted a bunch of time trying to find spaces using inadequate technique and had to look through a bunch of files again.
in an email I wrote: I thought I had checked the php files. I knew it wasn't good enough to just click View in my ftp program, so I was actually downloading them to the desktop and viewing them in my proper edit program there. Well, that still isn't enough. That will let you find any spaces before the first php tag, but it doesn't help at all to find a space after the closing tag. To do that you have to

1) open the file in a proper file editor (with line numbers)
2) scroll to the end of the file
3) use the mouse to locate the cursor on the last line of the file...but click it over in the right margin of the line. The cursor will automatically jump over to the left and focus itself on the last character...which may be a space.
This can take hours and hours, you might want to wait till you've exhausted other options.
thanks CarolC1. im not sure i am willing to go through all that exhaustive searching for an errant space or line break. And honestly, im not confident enough in my own knowledge of PHP syntax to say im sure i'd even spot it.

I would certainly like to solve this issue, and will try to update my style along with just about any other suggestion given. but in the meantime im not too terribly concerned because the AntiBot Question MOD i have installed is diverting spam registrations without a problem. but if solving the issue came down to something this tedious, i think i would much rather rebuild my site from the ground up again and reapply all my edits before i were to spend hours and hours on what might be a fruitless search for me.
The FlyerFly

Post by The FlyerFly »

t_backoff wrote:Dreamweaver doesn't play nicely. If you are going to edit files from phpBB (especially the PHP files!), you must use a plain text editor such as Notpad++. For uploading files to your forum's server, use an FTP client like FileZilla.
hmmm...shame i hadnt heard that before.

i d/l'ed Notepad++...looks pretty solid. thanks for the tip. i already had Filezilla installed. ill give that combination a try for awhile and see how it works out. if the consensus on DW is to stay away, far be it from me to argue.

ill try to get my style updated sometime today and ill update here when im done. ;)

and BTW...thanks again to everyone who has jumped in on this thread to help. Now if only Wordpress had this kind of support, i'd be in heaven. :?
The FlyerFly

Post by The FlyerFly »

are there any sources for manual updates of acidtech? everything in that link you provided appears to be for prosilver. this method of updating my style would be WAY easier for me.
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member

Post by Pit$Bull »

In the link I provided it states
Note that the full version of the changed files (including those for subsilver2) can be downloaded on the phpBB Downloads page.
http://www.phpbb.com/downloads/olympus. ... 0.6&code=1
The FlyerFly

Post by The FlyerFly »

Pit$Bull wrote:In the link I provided it states
Note that the full version of the changed files (including those for subsilver2) can be downloaded on the phpBB Downloads page.
http://www.phpbb.com/downloads/olympus. ... 0.6&code=1
Thanks. my bad.

BTW...how did you know that the version of acidtech i was using was outdated? is there a version note in the source code?
The FlyerFly

Post by The FlyerFly »

okay...maybe i was wording my request wrong. what i was hoping for was an editing guide, much like the ones you use for MODs. the type that will take you through each file edit step by step. i was hoping to be able to go through each file effected by the update and manually apply the code edits. does such a thing exist? i couldnt find it in the changed files package.
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member

Post by Pit$Bull »

The FlyerFly wrote: BTW...how did you know that the version of acidtech i was using was outdated?
http://flyerflies.com/forum/styles/acidtech/style.cfg
The FlyerFly wrote:what i was hoping for was an editing guide, much like the ones you use for MODs. the type that will take you through each file edit step by step.
Doesn't exist.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”