Clean Database

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
allaboutmarbles

Clean Database

Post by allaboutmarbles »

I had some problems moving my forum from FreeForums awhile back and was brand new to forums and php in general, i had to take a crash course on phpbb over night, for example i didn't even know how to make a database or install phpbb correctly..

I now have a better handle on what is going on and would like to kind of start fresh as i have sort of mucked things up. What i would like to know is, say i do a fresh install and only want to back up the necessity's of what my board consists of like, post, topics, users, groups, stuff like that, what all could i exclude from the database backup to get rid of unwanted stuff like old mods that was previously installed from Free Forums or stuff i installed?

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Re: Clean Database

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

Download the Support Toolkit, it has a tool that clean your database. (Make sure you make a backup before running it!)
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

allaboutmarbles

Thanks, checking it out now.

allaboutmarbles

Ok, installed, now do i just run the Database Cleaner?

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

Yes, it will take you through a couple of steps and ask you whether you want to perform a given task.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

allaboutmarbles

Ok, giving it a go now, will report back.

allaboutmarbles

Ok, it's pulled up all my tables, type = Extra - Action = Remove, what do i do now?

allaboutmarbles

Which ones should i select? I basically only want to get rid of any mods that where installed from Free forums or any MOd for that matter, i don't really want to lose anything else..

allaboutmarbles

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Table 'aam_1.allaboutmarbles_config' doesn't exist [1146]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

allaboutmarbles

Ok, i see what it did, i re-upped my database, what do i want to remove? just the _mods ?? It just deletes my whole database, it is telling me my whole database has been affected by a mod...

allaboutmarbles

Replacing Tables in Database

Let me try a different approach, after reviewing what the Toolkit does and what i am trying to do, i can do most of that manually in phpMyAdmin.

Say i drop all the tables in the database im using now, reinstall a fresh copy of phpbb using the same tableprefix name in my backup config.php, can i import certain tables out of my backup to the new database? Will it rewrite them or can it not be done? I know there has to be an easy way to do this..

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Replacing Tables in Database

Post by Brf »

What are you trying to accomplish?

allaboutmarbles

Im trying to do a fresh install and only use certain tables out of my current database. I want to basically clean my database out of mods but not lose all the important info, like the essentials... I tried the Toolkit but for what i am trying to do i don't need that plus it tells me all my tables have Extras added on to them, when i run the cleaner it deletes my whole database so i need to do this manually and more specifically i need to know which tables i need to back up and which ones aren't so important..

allaboutmarbles

Or what if i installed the fresh install and just dropped certain tables from the new database and replaced them with my backup tables?

allaboutmarbles

bump........

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”